Essential Tremor

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mother has been diagnosed with Essential Tremor and has informed me that this can be hereditary, are there any tests that can be done to determine whether or not I carry the gene that causes this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Never heard of any tests if there are no symptoms, it can be heredatory but not always

• Posted

Questions there are have you had any symptons? For example, do you fingers tremble, hands shake? 

As you Mother said it can be heredatory, but that doesn't mean that it's always the case. You may have a sibling that had that gene, while you didn't. Just like I have it, but my brother didn't.

Chances are if you had it, you would know about it, just be glad to be able to put a name to it.

There is no cure for it, but it's not going to kill. Best perhaps, to learn how to cope with it.

• Posted

Hi there. 

No i've not not had any symptoms, my grandmother had it and as I said my mum has recently been diagnosed too, my aunt also suffers with it. 

I just wondered if there were any tests that doctors can do that give an indication as to whether or not I might carry the gene that causes this, so that I would know whether or not I'm likely to suffer with it at some point in my life?

i know there's no cure, but I'm also aware that there are various options for treatment that can make the symptoms more bearable, I'm just interested in whether or not I can find out if I'm likely to also suffer with this in future. I'd rather know than not if you get my meaning. 

• Posted

You haven't said how old you are, but even so if you weren't aware of any symptons e.g. shaking/trembling fingers by the time you were a teenager - you haven't got it.

Probably the 'rogue' gene is on the maternal line, while you had a paternal line bias - as I said early one child may have it, but a sibling may not. Do you have any brothers or sisters?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.