Essential tremor or Generalised Anxiety!???

Posted , 8 users are following.

For 6 months I've been suffering from awful health anxiety. To make a long story short I've had hundreds of different symptoms and worried about numerous conditions, diseases that have all turned out to be anxiety. One of the symptoms that bothers me most is my SHAKY HANDS! His started about 4 months ago when my thumbs would twitch, it bothered me that much that with the constant worry of it I started to notice my hands would tremble when I put them out in front of me, and when I was working in uni it would trigger as I would be thinking that I wasn't steady and completely in control. The last monthor so I've been really good and it eased off (not sure if it was completely because I stopped worrying and constantly checking because I finished uni) however this month I've been offered a job working with manufacturing that required a steady hand! This has got me really nervous and my hands have been a constant concern for me since. What worries me is that it's mainly only my LEFT hand!! It shakes when I hold it out, I wouldn't say it's uncontrollable as it isn't ridiculously obvious but gets worse when I get overly stressed. My arm sometimes feels weak from high up and when I lay my hands flat on the bed and slightly raised it makes this fast up and down tremor.

This is really distressing me because I feel like it could be essential tremor! If this is he case I'm terrified of it getting worse and stopping me from doing the job I've worked so hard towards. I'm 22 and have no family history of essential tremor or parkingsons etc also this only started after the severe anxiety which reassures me that it could just be anxiety???? But the fact it is in one hand and seems quite constant really bothers me. I've not found anything online that seems similar that only has been anxiety??

Anyone had a similar experience or can give any advice?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your shaking hands and week arms are down to anxiety.The more you focus on this the worse it will get.You have to try to accept that anxiety is causing this and stop focusing on it.Easier said than done l know.Try distraction or some form of relaxation.
    • Posted

Just to amplify this, you have to stop googling stuff and asking for reassurance, that is what helped me feel better. It helps short term but in the long term it is not as useful. You just have to accept it, and when and if it happens again, just let it be, slowly your body and mind will accept and get used to it, making these episodes less often. This is just how it is for me, hope you feel better.

• Posted

Know exactly how this feels years ago. About your age started with hands shaking, sometimes for no reason sometimes if I was feeling an copy's or worrying about something. The shaking for no reason scared me cos lthought well it can't be anxiety cos not that anxious at minute .when I thought people noticed my shaking made it even worse . First doctor treated me for tremor. Over years my anxiety got worse and I had shaking , Chest pain racing thoughts, muscle pain and heart racing all due to anxiety. Great talking on here. You really it's horrid but really common and can be managed. Get advice here but see your doc again you don't want this to ruin your career. At my worst I didn't want to go out I felt so panicy about shaking etc. Looking back I should have got more help sooner. Good luck. Glad you reached out I was scared nobody else was like me ( i know now this is a common debilitating problem??

• Posted

I am 23 years old and also have tremors, muscle spasms, tingly, numbness! My whole arm went numb last week and I have terrible health anxiety! I've been to the ER in the past week twice they gave me klonopin and it has helped so much! I've had anxiety for 3 years! I also have tremors in my hands and legs it's really scary sometimes!

• Posted

Hi sorry your so anxious.

Its definitely anxiety i get it also my hands tremble like theres something wrong with me .

Yes constantly if my anxiety is non stop also at times my whole body will feel weak mostly my legs and arms .

I had severe anxiety in December 2015 that bad that i was nearly hospitalized . I Cleary remember i had a non stop feeling of trembling of my hands , my phone would shake thats how bad it was . Bad time !

Valium helped me during that terrible time but since then im left with chronic depersonalization 😓 .

I really hope that you start to feel better and remember anxiety can cause the biggest list of symptoms nothing amazes me anymore from what i have experienced

• Posted

Here again. All the above is so what I experience. On occasion I even feel my heed shaking as well ascend hand tremor. I agree sometimes trying to write or use phone it's noticeable . Doesn't help with anxiety as don't want people to notice. Had for yrs and can have great times but still can notice it . Doc may sujjest beta blocker or similar but I never have many strong relaxants prescribed as I can take more if they help( done this before and went through lliving hell ) your being pro active great. Poor people out there are scared to ask for help.talking and knowing your not alone is half the battle??

• Posted

Hi ?

Yes i think anyone that deals with a mental illness is stronger then they think .

Up untill November 2015 i thought i had experienced every symptom of anxiety, but after the last year and a half it has amazed me what the brain can do .

The hand shaking you get is anxiety i know how our anxious brain tells us these symptoms are not anxiety but 99% of the time it is anxiety.

What ive learnt is after the doctor clears you then we have to believe it .

Do you exercise ? The one thing that did help me get though my near hospitalization was going for a long walk as soon as i woke up instead of panicking and feeling i would go insane , i made myself power walk for about 30 to 40 minutes after i got back home the intense panic feelings had lowered.

Do you see friends ? I made myself visit friends during my bad time and it helped hugely just taking the focus of my feelings helped heaps .

Im stuck with depersonalization after that terrible time i suffered though .

But im hopefull it will eventually go away .

Stay strong 💪💪💪

• Posted

Thankyou everyone for your helpful replied, this has made me feel a little better and I will be sure to go back to the doctors to check when I get s chance. I believe one of my problems is thinking it is not anxiety because I'm not panicking (as someone mentioned) I feel that anxiety would cause severe tremor whilst during a panic? However with me it seems to be a slight tremor when I hold my hand out of a jitter or my thumbs when holding my phone and just in my left hand even when I'm happy and getting on with my day although I'm still aware and thinking of it, is this still anxiety???

As silly as this sounds, I feel worried that it's not a typical really panicky shaky tremor and it is so minor as this makes me think it's real? sad sad sad

• Posted

Hey Worryoverheath, it's been a while since you posted this.

Not sure if you're still on the forum and if you still get notifications, but it would be interesting to read how you look back at this 3 years later. Did things resolve itself? It's reassuring to read after a long period of time if people got over their anxiety symptoms and were able to put it behind themselves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.