Estraderm Patches............here goes!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Ladies, the doc has prescribed me Estraderm Patches for my menopause symptoms. Can any of you tell me if you have used these and how was it for you? How long did it take to kick in? Any side effects?

Strange but im kinda looking forward to getting started and getting my life back!!

Many thanks x

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No I've just started on a gel called estrogel which I rub on my arm I didn't wake up very hot so it must be a start
  • Posted

Hi Bumpkin.

I have used Estraderm patches for the past 18 years. Better on them than off! Saved me from total madness!!

Had total hysterectomy, no ovaries.

GP stopped the patches a year ago as she said been on it far too long. What a disaster that turned out to be. My word. I was horrendous. Panic, anxiety, mood swings, hot flushes and night sweats you wouldn't believe. Back to a different GP after health and temper were both on a downward spiral. She put me back on a low dose for the next three years as she suggested I could benefit more from being on it than not. I have to say I have been so much better. No sweats, no hot flushes.

Give it a try. If you don't feel they are for you then maybe try some other form of HRT.

Good luck, and I hope it works as well for you as it has me! x

• Posted

I use a gel its very good only had one dose only still a bit grumpy to husband
    • Posted

Thank you sue02, so glad to hear of someone else on the patches. These are the lowest dose so I just hope all is ok. Not put the first one on yet as not long out of the bath so waiting to cool down! Fingers crossed!!
  • Posted

I am 71 going on 72 and have been using the same patches for 26 years and before that implants for 8 years after a hysterectomy with both ovaries removed.

I can only say they are fantastic and I have never had any side effects at all, they are keeping me alive that's so very true.

Jean c

• Posted

Estraderm seems to have the same active ingredients as the patches I'm on (Elleste Solo).  I've been on these for around 9  years - no problems until I tried to come off last year!  They initially took a week or two to kick in properly but after that. no side effects for me.  When I first started I tried 40mcg patches but ended up increasing to 80.  I was on these for most of that time.  When I (literally) cut back, I was OK 'til I got down to 40mcg, so have stuck on those, which seem to be doing the trick for me at the moment.
  • Posted

Jean.........great to hear that someone has been successfully using HRT for 34 years, I did have patches a long time ago but didn't like the sticky residue they left on my skin so now on tablets and have been for 12 years although I did have a 2 year break but hated it and went back to it 4 years ago. Other than that, the patches did a great job.
  • Posted

The Estraderm MX patches don't leave me with any residue at all and stick very well too.I started many moons ago on 100mcg and then 50mcg which I'm still on. A few years ago the GP said I should try the 25mcg size and the symptoms that I suffered were dreadful after about 4 months I has forced to back to the 50mcg size. Now I'm reluctant to try the smaller patch again which I will have to eventually I suppose.
    • Posted

Good to hear from someone who has used them successfully for so long. If you've been fine on them for that long, I wouldn't worry too much about cutting down now!  I too had problems at 25mcg but seem to be fine on 40.  There must be a minimum level your body is happy with.  I'm just hoping my doctor will be as happy to let me continue, when I go for my next review.  After trying to cut down (after constant badgering from the doctors) I'd prefer to stay on my current dose of HRT for the forseeable future.  Lets hope the new guidelines make our GPs more receptive.
  • Posted

Yes cutting down is good has anybody been on estrogel and how did they get on with two days in and I still feeling a bit hot
    • Posted

I think with any HRT, you need to give it a week or two for your body to adapt and react to the hormones.  If after a month, you still aren't feeling any benefit, it might be worth thinking whether you need to increase the dose - but give it chance to work first.  Though any risks are very small, it is always best to stay on the lowest dose needed to keep the symptoms at bay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.