Estridiol cream

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been using the estridiol vaginal cream, I was told that the cream only stay in that area.But as soon as I use it I get really irritable and my stomach has been really bloated. Does anyone know if this could be from estridiol cream?

Also, I thought it was biodentical but looking at the ingredients looks as if it's not totally biodentical.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I used this cream for a long time , i did'nt get any problems with it. Can no longer use it as I had endiometrial cancer so have to find something else . Any ideas anyone . 

• Posted

Rosielee, I find your post very curious.  Estradiol is the hormone that thickens the lining of the uterus, and an over grown lining can turn cancerous.  You said you used the cream for a long time without problems.  Were you also given any progesterone to keep the lining thin?  Or did you have vaginal ultrsounds to check the lining periodically?  

Again I'm assuming, but I guess you probably had your uterus removed?   So if that the case, and you no longer have to worry about your uterus, why are they saying you can't use the cream for your vaginal vault tissues?  Is this because it was considered a estrogen positive form of cancer?  

As far as another idea.  There has been recent research showing that vaginal DHEA will help with vaginal atrophy and dryness, without the need to use estradiol.  Just google search DHEA and vaginal atrophy and you should be able to see the studies.  Might be something you can ask your physician about trying.   

• Posted

I think I got tthe name wrong , all I know I took a hormone cream for many years which helped with lubrication. When I got the endiometrial cancer I was taken off it .   xx Rosie
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

My assumption is you were given vaginal Estrace.  And while yes, they say it stays locally, that isn't always the case.  For me it was an immediate head rush, a cold tinging on my scalp, and a feeling of being off balance.  It always quickly passed, but it was very profound.  So they can say it's not systemic all they want, but it sure was for me.  What the "experts" say, is that if the tissues are very dry, that it can quickly be absorbed into the general circulation.  But with continued use, as these tissues heal, it will stay local.  However, I know one women who was using the cream daily and had an estradiol blood level reading of 80 pg/ml by it's use.

I am assuming you were given this cream for vaginal aprophy, dryness and painful sex.  And you don't want those tissues to go to pot. So you may be able to use less than the recommended amount to avoid some of the side effects you are experiencing, while still providing some local estrogen to heal the area.  

And yes, even though there are additional ingredience to make the cream, vaginal Estrace is the bioidentical hormone estradiol.  However, if you were given vaginal Premarin, then NO it is not the bioidentical hormone.  Premarin is a synthetic.     

• Posted

Thank you for explaining it to me

It was given for dryness but I don't know about the painful sex

Because since peri I have 0 drive.

I was given tetesterone to increase but made me feel too crazy.

She directed me to stop it.

I read your post to Rosielee and now I'm concerned about the uterus.

I had a ER cat scan done in June and was told my uterus was slightly enlarged. I passed this

On to my GYN and she said of course it would be because you had kids.

The thing is I was taking bio progesterone also but was told to

halt it for awhile because of some side effects too

Don't want to be doing only estradiol without progesterone.

• Posted

Hi again Mary.  Ok so when you were taking the progesterone and getting symtoms, it may have simply been to much for your system.  The standard RX is ususally 100mg of Prometrium orally.  Most of it is chewed up by the liver, so the amount that is actually available is smaller than the dose.  However many women in menopause find it to be too much, with the standard symptoms being depression, feeling over medicated and drowsy.  This is why it's recommended that you take it before bed.  

But there are ways to get some progesterone in without taking a pill.  The vaginal route seems to work well for many women.  And others like progesterone cream.  You might check with your doctor and see what other alternatives you could try.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.