Estriol Vaginal Cream.. Menopause .. anyone tried it for Vaginal Dryness ?

Posted , 30 users are following.

wondering if this is a moderately safer option... low dose... ?

anyone use it etc... or similar .. 

VAGINAL DRYNESS

Lack of estrogen can cause dryness and thinning of the vaginal tissues making intercourse uncomfortable or even painful. The first sign of an effect of reduced estrogen on the vagina is reduced lubrication during sexual activity. HRT can alleviate this but even if you cannot take systemic HRT you may still be able to use estrogen topically to the vagina. This is available in a few forms; creams administered via applicators, waxy pessaries, small tablets inserted with an applicator or a vaginal ring which stays in place for 3 months at a time. For creams, pessaries or vaginal tablets, the initial dose is 1 application nightly for 2 weeks, followed by the maintenance dose of 1 application twice weekly. Low dose vaginal estrogen preparations can be used long term without causing any known systemic effect, and without needing any progestogenic protection of the lining of the womb.

Even if you cannot or do not want to use hormones there are other options. Over the counter bio-adhesive vaginal moisturisers are very effective. A range of products are available, many of which are easier to use than KY jelly, which is water based and more slippery. These moisturizers are also slightly acidic which helps prevent vaginal infections. One other advantage is that they do not need to be used at the time of intercourse. Some women have found a Tea tree oil based product helpful. Several non-hormonal vaginal products can be also be prescribed and include Replens MD, Hyalofemme and Sylk.

Please note: Patients should consult a health professional to decide on the appropriate treatment option to be prescribed.

VAGINAL TREATMENTS

Local estrogen can be used for vaginal and bladder symptoms, when systemic treatment is not desired or appropriate. For some women, vaginal estrogen may be required along with systemic HRT. 

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Is all estriol considered hormone replacement therapy? I am looking for an interventional cream or gel. Does it all need to be prescribed by a doctor and made by a compound pharmacy? My doctor prescribed Premarin but I don't want to take it. Do any of the Estriol over-the-counter creams work? 

• Posted

Hi jayneejay,

I had my last period 9 years ago and had few menopausal symptoms till 18 months ago. I started on Ovestin cream to help with vaginal dryness. It has been a big help in that regard but I am experiencing headaches the morning after using it. I seem to have these headaches consistently after using the cream, although I know I am prone to headaches. These headaches are really effecting my life and I wonder if any others have noticed this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.