Estrogel and depression

Posted , 23 users are following.

Good evening Ladies - hope you have all had lovely weekends!

To cut a very long story short have had the most difficult perimenopause and have shared many of the symptoms described by some lovely ladies here.  I have given in (again) and have agreed to a therapeutic dose of bio-identical HRT - Estrogel.  I was really struggling with anxiety, depression, night sweats, hot flushes and insomnia.  I agreed to try the gel after trying every other therapy/herbal remedy in the book with no obvious improvement!  However, after day 2 I am scarily depressed - it is awful - please can someone advise if I should stick with it - i.e am I going to feel worse before I feel better or is this it???? I would be very grateful - just want to find who I was again - don't recognise who I am anymore and it is really hampering my life in all aspects!  I wobn't be able to get a GP's appointment for at least 2-3 weeks so all help appreciated!  Thank you 

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm on bio identical HRT - evoral conti patches and the symptoms stopped in 5 days. No hot flushes, sleeping better so there are other versions and methods you can try. Have another chat with your GP.
  • Posted

You say you've tried other therapies - have you tried other forms of HRT before this gel?  I first started on HRT tablets, which didn't suit me and made me feel queasy.  I was recommended to try patches by a friend - my GP of the time agreed and I didn't look back.  That was about 9 years ago.  Many people try a few different HRT options before they find the one that suits them.  I'm on Elleste solo patches (Estradiol) which seem to suit me fine.  They took a week or two for the hormones to kick in initially but once they did, I felt normal again.

Make an appointment with your GP, if it takes a few weeks and see if the Estrogel starts to work in the meantime.  Don't double the dose without checking with your GP first - the hormones can take more than a couple of days to kick in.  If you feel OK by the time your appointment comes up, you can always cancel it and if not, discuss trying a different option.  Don't give up, I'm sure you'll find something that suits you and you will feel better!

• Posted

Hello Kitten64,

Oh my word i do feel for you. Let me tell you my experience with HRT thus far. I just turned 50 this year and I felt like I was falling apart! Low energy, lackof interest in going out and having fun, being with friends. Just a general feeling of being down, and that is not me at all. I have three boys 23, 21, and 16 and have always been an upbeat, active and very involved in their lives. Lately, I'd say in the last few years its been dreadful! I don't want to be involved in anything thing! I'm always tired. Now since Aug of 2015 I have been skipping my period every other month. Holly crap the hot flashes and night seats have been just awful! I mean I am awake at least 8-12 times every night, changing my clothes at least 4 of those times. During the day its been just as bad! I'm "flashing" every hour if not more! It's exhausting feeling like this all the time. The lack of sleep on top of coping, good grief I had to do something. This is no way to live, no quality of life! I went to the doctors, on my moms advice and chatted about HRT. Well, ladies 10 days in and what a difference already! I'm getting my energy back and starting to feel like "myself" again! And the night sweats, only 2 last night, and not near as bad as they were before. That uneasy feeling, anxious feeling...not so much any more. Wow and I'm only 10 days on so far. And the best part of this my periods should stop altogether. Oh happy day! So i have to say so far so good!  Its made me feel like I have my life back. Really! So emabarrasing to be soaking wet and then freezing most of the day. Give it a whirl. I am taking a oestrogen and a progestrone as I still have all my working parts. Pill formate. Everyone is different. The first thing you try may not work for you. dTake care kitten64 hope all goes well!

• Posted

I've had reproductive depression for years and been much worse following havjng my first baby 7 months ago. I've been prescribed Estrogel three pump a day. 4 days of taking it and I feel horrendous more tired than ever and my period arrived two days in?! I really thought this was going to be the answer but it seems to only make things worse! Would be great to have reassurance that it's going to eventually help or whether i need to change the dose? Thank you all in advance :-)

• Posted

Hi Kitten64, I can totally empathise with all your symptoms, I was a total wreck this time last year.

i am not two years with no periods, and had mirena coil furred last December for progesterone, and use two pumps of estriole daily.

I started on one pump, as I was worried about using HRT, it did help a bit, and reduced my hot flushes within about a week, but my anxiety was far from better. So I increased it gradually to 2 pumps daily.

I've  also had a few times during this year when I've felt very flat, lacking in interest, almost shut off from everything and everyone. At those times, I used three pumps a day for a few days, and it seemed to help lift me.

the 'normal' dose us 2 pumps a day, however from my understanding (I'm not a Dr) some ladies use up to 4 pumps a day, especially if they are peri meno, as the extra is often needed to over rude your own hormonal fluctuations.

Two days is really too early to be passing judgement on if the estriole is helping you. You need to give any new HRT regime at least three month fair trial.

Hope this helps.

p.s DONT use St. John's wort with HRT, it can reduce the efficiency of the HRT 😊

• Posted

I'm still feeling absolutely horrendous, I've been given Estrogel for postnatal depression and can't believe it's just not helping I would go as far as to say it's worse than before over the last week. I wonder if I'm just not taking enough Estrogel to knock out my own hormones? Any tips would be very welcome!

• Posted

Why have they suggested estrogel for post natal depression?

is it only 4 days you've been using it?

it can take time, try and persevere fir at Keats a month /6 weeks before altering the dose.

it could easily be too much rather than too little.

but you need to give it a good trial 

• Posted

Hi KItten, last year when I was 42 when I felt similar symptoms to those that you describe. After trying to make myself feel better I found John Studd's website [fantastic information from a professor that used to head up Westminister Hospital in he womens health dept and he now works privatley] Armed with printouts from his website I went to my GP. He ruked out thyroid and other non hormone issues before agreeing to prescribe HRT. I started on Evorel 50 patch and can honestly say that within 3 days i felt so much better. I must have been dropping my oestrogen for years. It has since been increased to 100 as symptoms crept back but were easily resolved with the higher dose. I have had a merina coil for years so I have carried on with that just to provide the progesterone element.

• Posted

Hi I realise your post was a while ago now but did you experience any bloating while using Evorel? I have been using 25 Evorel patches for a few months and each time I try to increase this(even by using quarter of A 25 patch) I get severe abdominal bloating, have had this checked out for ovarian cancer etc and all fine and as soon as I reduce patch again bloating goes. I would be very grateful if you could let me know please of your experience.
  • Posted

Hi there, I was also given Estrogel .625 to use daily with 100 mg of Prometrium in the evening. I decided to try using the dose every other day. I feel fine. Maybe you should try to reduce your dosage. Just my recommendation. I hope that you feel better.
  • Posted

Any feedback after 2 years?  I am looking for help with insomnia in peri. Insomnia just kicked in, with it comes severe anxiety and flushing. 
  • Posted

Hi I just started estergion   and I'm feeling bad and like I'm on my period it is scary felling over whelm and lost .37 years old having PCOS, Postpartum and then a hysterectomy. Now they are changing my HRT and I feel lost can some one send a light for me for me please 

• Posted

Hi sarah

I'm just wondering how it is going taking the estrogel? I have been on it for 4 days and feel shocking: depressed, body aches, like a zombie. Have you or anyone else positive story about using this gel? I started on 3 pumps but only had one today as I can't face taking anymore. I was prescribed by professor studd for pms and awful periods. Any help would be gratefully received!

• Posted

Hi Emma

I’ve just joined this chat as I have been having trouble with the estrogel I originally started with the patches and they were great I felt normal for the first time in ages, I then transferred to the estrogel, I Started with 3 pumps and felt worse so I reduced down to 2 pumps and still feel no better a complete lack of interest in life loss of interest in everything I can barely be bothered to walk my dog I feel that bad, I’m not sure why it hasn’t worked I’ve been on it for 4 months sometimes I feel ok ish but it’s not nearly as powerful as the patch the only problem with the patches was the nausea I’m going to keep going with the gel if there is no improvement I will consider trying the patch again..it’s horrible to feel so low so I completely understand how you feel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.