Estrogel and Utrogestan

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi girls Im new to the site and just wondering if anyone could advise me re Utrogestan

Ive been on het for 2 years not really sucessfully as still have most dreadful insomnia 2 weeks solid every month

I do not get on with progesterone and for last 3 months ive been using the utrogestan vaginally instead of orally

My concern is should I have had different capsules for this as ive been using the same ones i took orally as per a gynaecoligist but ive just seen a post on here saying utrogestan pessaries ..

Sorry to ramble on feeling very anxiousand worn out today X

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there...

It's possibly my post you've seen... the vaginal caps are a little bigger than the oral caps and come with applicators in quite a big box. They are 200mg, 1 per evening and the oral caps are 100mg, 2 per evening.

I've not used the vaginal caps yet, but did not get on at all with the oral caps.

xx

• Posted

I just researched a bit and apparently the oral caps can be used vaginally too and so this could be good regarding progesterone intolerance as some women do use oral caps 100mg vaginally each night (if advised by doctor) instead of the recommended 200mg? I know the dosage for preventing hyperplasia should be 200mg daily but some (like me) can't tolerate it and are advised otherwise.

Not sure what your gynae advised but I guess just go with that... hope this helps.

xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response , im like you I cant tollerate it either ! I went to see proffesor Studd a few years ago and he put me on estrogel and utrogestan 100 for only 7 days

I was ok for about 18 mths not great but ok ..now though im awful 2 weeks of every month not functioning with Insomnia and anxiety it all eases when I come on

Hope your doin better than me !! Xx

• Posted

I've tried Evorel sequi patches, Femseven sequi patches, Evorel oestrogen only patches with Utrogestan oral caps, back to Femseven sequi patches and now Evorel oestrogen only patches again with utrogestan pessaries...

Every time I try a regime the progesterone gives me such bad effects I end op quitting after around 6 months!! 😦

I really don't think the pessaries will be any better and the caps just made me feel absolutely awful, I really just couldn't function.

Such a pain as my mum was like wonder woman when she used HRT patches!!

Did you find Dr. Studd really good? I'm tempted to consult him myself... When you used 7 days of utrogestan did you get your period ok? My doc said i had to use 14 days of the oral caps in order to not be a risk but seriously after 10 days i was almost dead I felt so ill! At least it's only 10 days I think with the pessaries... There is one more progesterone to try if this doesn't work and then I'm not sure what I'll do...

Menopause issues eh?! Who knew!! Just want to feel well!

xxx

• Posted

Your so right its all a nightmare ..as for proffesor Studd he is a lovely man but i.d say you need to have money to carry on with appointments to get it right ..were as the travel to london plus the consultation fee was to much for me to keep up which is sad I know

From what ive read 7 days on 100 is fine for progesterone intolerant women like us ..I discussed my concern with him as I lost my mum from womb cancer but he wasnt perturbed

Really hope we find a balance !! Xx

• Posted

Oh gosh, sorry to hear that news re your mum. Thanks so much for this info as it defo gives me a bit of hope!

Gin & chocolate give me a bit of hope too!! 😉

xx

• Posted

I am 'lucky' having had a hysterectomy (did not feel that way at the time), so I don't have to use progesterone. Then my gp said I should use it for 'balance'. What a nightmare - never again. It made my oestradiol ineffective. I have not got it back perfectly since.

A research prof of gyneacology in Leicester, writes that only the smallest amount of progesterone should be used that prevents break through bleeding. To do that you need to use it separately from your oestradiol, so that you can start with small quantities and increase it slightly if you have break through bleeding, till the bleeding stops.

• Posted

I'm really sorry to sound thick but I'm not sure i understand... the professor from leicester, is his info related only to women without a womb? As women that have a womb are told we need to take it to shed the lining of the womb and so need a bleed? So we take it for 10 to 14 days as the lining builds and then on discontinuing it after that time that's what instigates the bleed? If we don't take it we risk lining build up which can lead to cancer.

That said, you're right that it DEFINITELY does not agree with my body at all and makes me feel absolutely crap!

So... when you say take the minimum amount, I would gladly do that but I can't help the fact that the possible consequences worry me...

it's all such a nightmare and I dread starting the progesterone again as i get such awful side effects. I'm interested in what you say as the progesterone defo overrides the good feeling that my oestrogen side of HRT gives.

What a minefield it is and i wish i could find a progesterone that suits me!!

Sorry, I'm rambling now!! 😦

xx

• Posted

Hi JacynM

This is what I got when I googled what is the optimal levels for estradiol

"Farook Al-Azzawi: University Hospitals Of Leicester NHS Trust

There are no true optimal levels but there are general guides to optimise individual treatment regimens.

For oestradiol, the benchmark is a CURE of vasomotor symptoms and vaginal dryness which could be achieved by levels around 200pmol/l. Bone protection, however while can be helped at lower doses, maintaining levels above 250pmol/l can cover over 94% of women. Levels of up 1200pmol/l are sometimes required to maintain symptom free state. As to the progesterone, levels are generally not helpful but if the withdrawal bleeding occurs at the end of the progesterone phase without intermenstrual bleeding and in the absence of adverse effect then the dose is adequate for endometrial protection. We have published menstrual diaries recordings and interpretations with various progestins, including a dose ranging study of trimegestone.

As to the testosterone, it is effective on Free Androgen Index of around 4-7% provided adequate oestrogen levels preceed the introduction of testosterone. Therefore measurement of oestradiol, SHBG and testosterone are required in the management of patients requiring testosterone supplementation."

My memory did get it wrong as I thought progesterone was meant to STOP the thickening of the lining of the uterus, therefore no periods. It is also prescribed to stop endometriosis from thickening with menstrual cells which then bleed like a period within the abdomen. (I had that too.) It makes the endometriosis shrivel up and die. One would think it worked the same way with the lining of the uterus. This may have confused me, but the abstract seems to read that you will still have periods but not break through bleeding in between.

Check out trimegestone which is mentioned in this abstract. I have had a quick look at it, and it makes me glad I do not have to use progesterone. I don't know but I think I would try the most minimum amount and build up if necessary. If you have a chance for a hysterectomy, grab it with both hands. Removal of the ovaries also helps prevent breast cancer as there is a connection. So says a high level dr in Australia.

Let us know how you go with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.