ESWL

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a 9 mm kidney  stone for a couple of years but has started to cause a bit of pain recently. They have referred me for shock wave lithotripsy. I need advice please from anyone that has experienced this treatment. I am having my first session on the Wednesday then flying off on our holiday on the Saturday. Am I going to be in a lot of pain? Will it be ok to fly? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I’m guessing everyone’s experience is different. I’ve had lithotripsy twice and they put me under. It took about 45 min. I peed blood then went home. They gave me a script for pain medication which I filled the first time but didn’t use. Then the 2nd time I didn’t even fill it. I personally thought lithotripsy was no big deal. 
  • Posted

Hi, I had eswl 3 years ago I had a 9mm and a 6mm on my right side. It's not a painful procedure but can be uncomfortable. It was about 25 minutes each. The stones moved out slowly over a period of 3 weeks everytime I used the bathroom. I'm in the U.K. good luck

• Posted

Hi Becky,

I imagine you will get a lot of response to this from ‘veteran’ stone producer (I’ve had 8). Some thoughts -

. Sounds unusual you are just having lithotripsy, the trend now is to accompany this with having a laser and scope run up your ureter to zap the stones with a laser after giving them about 1000 jolts of sonic waves from the lithotripsy machine.

. In any event, the big deal in recovery is whether you have a stent and catheter in place for a week or so after your procedure. The stent is only a little uncomfortable when they take it out, but the catheter is really a drag. In theory, you can go places with the catheter in, but the two times I had one, I never did.

. The reason the catheter is needed is relative to the amount of bruising caused by the procedure. The simple test is whether you can pee, without a catheter in place, before leaving the hospital. If you can’t, you get a catheter. If they are doing lasering, where they run a laser and scope up into your kidneys, you will end up with a stent and catheter. If it’s just lithotripsy you may end up with just a a stent, or nothing at all. If so, you are probably good to go traveling right after your procedure.

Good luck

• Posted

I had a stone between 11-14mm. I thought I was going to be good to go the day after my procedure since that was what I had read. Unfortunately that was not my experience. I had the shock wave therapy and had to get a stent. I was in bed for 3 days after my procedure in lots of pain and I have a very high pain tolerance. My parents had to keep my 4 children because I couldn’t care for them and since the surgeon said I’d be good to go the day after my husband went out of town as planned. I peed blood the entire time and basically it felt like I was peeing dragon fire. I also ended up with a kidney infection which made me even more miserable. It was the longest 3 weeks of my life lol. Everyone responds differently so I think it will be hard to judge if you will be ok to travel or not.
  • Posted

Hi Becky,

Vaughn again. From reading all your responses I think it shows you have no guarantees how quickly after lithotripsy you will feel up to traveling.

In rereading your post, you mentioned a serious of treatments. I’ve never heard of this before. Everyone I’ve talked to who has had lithotripsy has described it pretty much the same way - roll you into the special OR room where they have the lithotripsy machine; lay you onto your back onto this cold metal table; put you under; and you then wake up in recovery with a mild sore back and (maybe) a catheter and stent in place.

Are you sure you are getting a series of treatments? I assume this would be without a general anesthetic? At any rate, if their is something new out there I would be interested if (God forbid) I ever develop another stone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.