eswl first time but rather not for sure

Posted , 4 users are following.

hey everyone

new to the group here and just had to ask. I have had stones in both kidneys for over ten years now. they found them on ct way back when i began having other urinary and problems I have never had any particular pain just an ache mostly on the right side.

lately the urologist told me that we may be looking at another surgery for a different issue  and recommended we take out the stones first so I am supposed to do eswl on Tuesday my problem is i feel like I am borrowing trouble by messing with the stones that have not caused me any problem so far. they have grown to 7 mm and so he tells me that they will not pass on their own still i HATE the idea of them doing anything while I'm not awake  and naked laying there ( i have abuse issues that REALLY make me kind of nuts about this stuff. I just wonder cant i wear pajama bottoms ? cant I NOT go to sleep? maybe just some anxiety med and call it a day ? I dont want pain of course but i feel like i would rather have blood and pain then to have them do anything. i guess i just want to know what happens there anything would help  PLEASE!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

For that procedure..you dont go in naked..if fact I believe they put you in a twilight sleep before disrobing you. You should not be afraid to tell the doctor about the anxiety you feel . I always ask for my "cocktail" in the pre-op.. really does relax you. I am so sorry..I am a survivor of abuse as a child. I share your pain. A second opinion might be a help. But with such a large stone..its just a matter of time before it moves and blocks the tube. That would cause extreme pain. The litho is over in an hour or so and if they get it...well, then that bit of anxiety shall pass (along with the stone) ?

• Posted

I agree with Sharon on all points, the main being that a 7mm stone really shouldn't stay in forever. Although it hasn't caused you any problems yet (thankfully!), I fear it will someday and the pain might be unbearable. Best to get it taken care of. I too felt anxiety before all of my procedures, but really they do a good job of settling your nerves and putting you into a relaxed state. As is suggested, just tell them how you feel prior to surgery. Good luck!

• Posted

thanks for the replies. it does help. I guess that part of the problem for me is that one of the abusers got me in the hospital. presumably an employee as i was drugged. I hate being in that place now so much. and what i need to tell them is " i don't trust you, and i will never be able to"  that is not something i can tell them. so I get myself all worked up ( yes i have been told PTSD) end up scratching myself in my sleep and all that. I have had different procedures for other issues  but normally only once it becomes a have to. my appendix perforated once then healed and later became perforated again before I had it out. I know that costs me. O guess the big thing with this is all the ambiguity. we will break it up OR maybe we won't and then we can try all this stress again in a couple weeks. OR we might knock it loose so you get to experience the full effect. and oh BTW if that happens we will need to do an even more horrible procedure and if that happens we will also need to put this torture device inside your body for a few weeks until WE decide you have had enough.  and the icing on the cake... you have a stone in the other kidney as well. over all with co-pays and deductibles

which we cant tell you EXACTLY what that amount may be but you might plan on having another child ...so you can sell it.

• Posted

hey guys sorry for the negative rant. I do try to keep the thoughts under control but at times they can get away from me. i do appreciate the input and it helps to know some who have been there and had things go well. it is just all so much to take knowing that the end will not be in sight for some time.  so many things out of my control i just cant get my head around it all 
    • Posted

It's to be expected. Kidney stones bring out the worst in all of us.

I swore to the Diety, myself, and my wife that I would turnover a new leaf in regard to diet and the need to drink gallons of water. I have. I've eliminated to the best of my ability the intake of oxalates, and I'm constantly running to the bathroom all day and night to urinate. I like to think I'm a poster boy for good practices with kidney stones. And yet, I have been seeing a pinkish hue in my  urine, plus an occasional discomfort on my backside that is always reminiscent of previous stones. No actual pain yet, but the proof will be in the pudding when my urologist orders images at some point soon. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. 

Hang in there and keep the faith! 

• Posted

I doubt if they will let you be awake but you could ask.

I was awake when they replaced my knee 6 years ago.

Then 3 years ago when I had my gallbladder removed I asked if I could be awake again and they said no.

The reason was if they are operating too high up in your body there is a risk of the heart stopping if they give you epidural. I did not really understand that but that was their reason so there we are.

You mention having other urinary problems. Do you mean frequent urinary infections? Is there any blood in your urine?

I had frequent urinary infections and it was finally discovered a had kidney stones.

Fortunately I had PCNL in December last year and all stones were removed, I am now fine.

Even if you are not in pain with the stones at the moment there may well come a time when they will rear their ugly head. Better to get rid of them now before that happens.

Be sure to drink plenty of water. Robinson's Lemon Barley Water is good for kidney stones.

Not sure where you live.

If you need another opinion Consultant Urologist Frank Keeley operates at Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

He sorted me out and is excellent.

Good luck with all this.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

thanks Sarah yea I have had prostate issues for a long time now and they found the stones lurking even before I saw the first urologist I was 46 then i'm 55 now I am not able to empty the bladder again and this is why they suggest another surgery may be necessary. that is why he recommended ( and i understand the reasoning) that we get these stones out just so they don't cause more problems, especially after surgery if that is what happens. Either way the stones are not healthy and need to go i just wish there was another way... well a BETTER way   

• Posted

so just an update ... I had the first kidney done on Tuesday they told me i could wear pajama bottoms but that was NOT the case sad  in any event i was there and managed to do it they were as helpful as could be they unfortunately did knock me out. first day was just fine then a little blood and then a LOT  then back to a hot pink color it is still vacillating between hot pink and red. no stones caught yet  but quite a few small clots they told me to let them know if i get pain? of course i have pain duh and if the bleeding gets dark again. got to go for an ultrasound tomorrow and a kub ex-ray just before i see the doc in a couple weeks.  so its not so bad just now hope that things continue toward a healing place... then get to wait for kidney number two...  uggg
    • Posted

Hang in there it can only get better.

Thanks for update.

Keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

so another update i have done two more ultrasounds and a couple x rays cause it seemed that the pain in my right side ( the side they did the litho on ) was hurting. have gone from its clear, to no blockage, to you have several small stones in both kidneys. they said no need to go after them just back to keeping an eye on them. I am soooo not paying to have them blasted again.... I dont care how big they get I mean what is the point???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.