Esyma-fibroids

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi can anyone help/advise. I've been on esyma for nearly 2 months now, periods stopped straight away, had headches, quite bad and constant dizzy, some abdomen pain and breast tenderness which I am aware are the common symptoms. However, I now feel like I'm ovulating?? Can you still ovulate? I'm having the abdominal pain and sticky mucus discharge like I used too, is this normal to happen?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

I too am on Esmya have been for around 4 months, had some terrible side effects on it myself. Aching all over, headaches, dizzy ect, side effects not so bad now but still have them. I too stopped bleeding straight the way but still feel ovulation pain and period pain when I'm due to have one as well as the emotions still.

I presume it is normal but I wasn't expecting to myself I thought it would all stop but no.

My TAH is scheduled for 5th Aug.

Sorry I can't give a professional medical opinion, that's just my own experience.

Take care

Saz x

• Posted

Thanks saz, I appreciate you replying. The side effects are horrendous I'm debating whether to stop or not. On the other hand I can urinate woth ease now which is great as I was really struggling, I presume they are working somewhat. I just thought I would stop ovulating, I always had ovulating pain, sticky mucus etc. I used these symptoms to get pregnant successfully in 2013. Strange.

• Posted

What is yah? I'm not sure which procedure I will be having as yet, I'm having a mri scan next week then will see gyne to discuss getting these this out.

• Posted

Hi,

I am on my 5th cycle of esyma. In my experience my periods have thankfully stopped. I have experienced headaches breast tenderness, dizziness etc. It does get better and although it is your choice to stop taking them, it might be worth trying to keep on taking them. From what I have been told, esyma is basically the same tablet as the after morning pill just different dosages. It doesn't stop ovulation, but will make it extremely difficult to get pregnant.

Hope this.helps

• Posted

Hi Kelly, hope you had a good weekend.

When I first started with Esmya and the side effects were terrible I visited the Doctor and he said it was advisable to continue taking them and he was right as the side effects now are not as bad as they were in the beginning.

TAH is total abdominal hysterectomy.

I have my family already and even though I am still young (37) I know and have researched that a majority of people who have had other procedures to remove fibroids alone only go on to have them re grow and so they have to have further surgical intervention anyway which more than likely would be a hysterectomy. It depends on your circumstances of you were trying for a family ect. I only opted for the hysterectomy as I don't want any more children and there's no way I want to go through the distress that the fibroids have caused me again.

I believe on Esmya you still ovulate but because you have no lining (Esyma stops the lining from accumulating so therefore you don't have one to shed at the end of the cycle is your period) a fertilised egg is unable to attach to the lining so yes it makes it extremely hard to get pregnant. Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on with your scan. Take care xx

• Posted

Thank you, that makes sense then that I'm still having signs of ovulating. I didn't realise that you could take esyma for a longer period of time. Could this be used long term then as apposed to surgery altogether? Just don't know what to do for the best. I've got a daughter and suffered many miscarriages so kinda decided that she was my blessing and to leave it there. I'm 36, my daughter is 2. I'm going to stick with it and finished the 1st 3 month course despite the side effects. I'm hopeful they will pass somewhat, thank you. I've also had aching all over, arms and legs especially calf's. Dizziness is horrid and the headaches. I'm sure it must be working thou as I can urinate with no problems now and constipation seems to be settling. I have one the size of a baby's head, posterier and another in the lining, a bit smaller and only found out about this one recently. The bigger one I've had a while, was 7 cm duribg my pregnancy but has grown to 10.5cm

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

Yes I believe that when they first started using the drug you could only have it for two 3 month courses with a break in between but I am seeing many posts they suggest people are using it for longer terms. I am on my second course and was told not to have a break just to continue to take them. I too suffered with aches all over I literally felt about 90 at times and it was so frustrating to say the least but defo now I'm on the second course side effects are little and I think they have had an effect on the fibroids as I can pass waste a lot better. I still have to take the stool softener each day and find that drinking plenty and walking some have also helped.

I'm sorry to hear of you miscarriages that must have been so sad and traumatic sad I wanted children for a while but unfortunately my husband couldn't have his own so we ended up using a donor and had ICSI IVF, we have two beautiful kids a boy and a girl who will be 10 this year. That I am thankful for!!!

I have several fibroids but one in particular was nearly blocking my rectum, the registra said I had a 1cm gap between my spine and rectum to be able to pass waste, I was admitted twice due to extreme constipation, bloating, vomiting and masses of pain it's been a horrendous ride since last November!

I hope your side effects lessen soon, the waiting is the difficult part. I attended my last clinic in April 22nd and they only just typed up the letter and sent it to myself and my doctor it's a long old wait! sad xx

• Posted

Oh and I think they are doing trials to see if Esmya can be used in longer terms it's all been in the press recently xx

• Posted

Ah that's fantastic, so please you got your baby's. I was told on discovering my fibroid a good few years ago that if I wanted kids to do it first before treating the fibroids, well miscarriages later and a touch and go Pregnancy my angel arrived. Delivery was horrid as the fibroids caused a long long labour, contractions were not doing anythibg, forceps then a manual remove of my placenta...all due to the fibroids. Tried again for another but lost that one in august last year so decided I needed to sort the fibroids out. I've got a mri on Friday so will know more about their position etc. I too was having terrible constipation especially arpund ovulation. Couldn't wee either which just got worse so decided I needed to do something about it. I also have a prolapse womb and bladder, again all fibroid related. It's great to hear what you have gone through and share experiences. This is my first time on a forum and I'm finding it so reassuring. I've lost 10lb so far and can wee do they must be working! The bloating was really bad too. Thanks for the great advice, reply helpful. These fibroids are such terrible things aren't they

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.