Etanercept

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my consultant has suggested i start on Etanercept, does anyone have any experience of this particular DMARD, i would appreciate some honest info, i have been on most other DMARDS with varying degrees of success over differing lengths of time, i have had this disease for over 8 yrs and only recieved a firm diagnosis today

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kate or whoever you are. I started Enbrel in ~2008 or so after trying several other meds. DMARDS did not work for me. I don't remember how long it took, but it was a relatively short time. The symptoms almost disappeared and eventually the psoriasis also disappeared. I was on a weekly injection and after a few years tried to spread them out but often the symptoms would come back after a couple of days. Anyway, it worked for me completely. Maybe I just got lucky. Hopefully it is the same for you.

Justin (from Canada)

• Posted

Thats really good news! I was on it for 12 years having "voyaged" though most of the alternatives. Once it started working - normal agonising wait, bliss! No problems although it did give me headaches initially, immediatly after the injection, soon overcome.

Eventually all good things come to an end..and etanercept stopped working. I developed inflammation in the jaw. But then I was put on a better one...Cimzia.

Apparently the biologics therapies do reduce over time but 12 years was not a bad innings. And you can drink alcohol again if thats your preference.

I hope it works for you really quickly!

• Posted

Hi k8

Etanercept was brilliant for joints but my pustular psoriasis went crazy; please note this is MY experience only. So far I haven't found a medication to manage my condition - I'm just unlucky with med so far, here's what has been tried and failed - methotrexate, sulphasalazine, leflunomide all DMARDs now for the biological treatments Etanercept (Enbrel), Humira, Stelara & Cimzia, but I must STRESS I'm a difficult patient. I know many people who successfully manage PsA with one or a combination of the drugs I've listed. I'm waiting for a new drug to be licensed by NICE. My condition is currently treated with steroids (oral, injections & infusions) plus painkillers. Try Enbrel, it really works well for looks of people, make sure you get your bloods checked each month. Good luck x

• Posted

Ow Sheila! Our bodies are so uncoperative sometimes! Thats really a case of very bad luck. My sympathy!
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply, I feel alot better about the treatment now, I hate all these drugs but I do want to feel better and enjoy my life, some days I physically can't get out of bed, here is hoping for this to work

K

• Posted

Yes ! But in the end its a trade off between quality of life now and some future problem. If youre older, its easier! After all the grim reaper gets you sooner before problems can set in!
  • Posted

Hi i have had PSA for twenty years and for the last 8 years been on enter cent it gave me a new lease of life after trying all sorts of medication I would definitely say try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.