Etd diagnosis, MRI and possible grommet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all, just a quick question

I've had my ent consultation and a diagnosis of what the doc "thinks" is etd secondary to rhinitis. I'm now on saline washouts and flixonase bd. I can't see that it's doing anything, however my allergies feel better.

The etd is worse today, but I think this may be down to a possible virus brewing. My questions are

1. I have had an MRI of my ears, which I'm guessing is to rule out acoustic neuromas, has anyone else had an MRI?

2. I was told if the steroid nasal washouts don't work I will possibly have a grommet inserted, anyone had this with successful results?

My main symptoms are pressure, clicking and very mild tinnitus

Many thanks and hope you're not all suffering too much

Catherine

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine.  Do your symptoms include any hearing loss?  Are the symptoms in just one ear or both?  How often do you do the sinus rinse and are you using only distilled water?
    • Posted

Hi Tanney

No hearing loss, just mild pressure, like it's being sucked in. Yes one ear only. I don't want to ruin it but I think it's improving, I have very mild tinnitus which I can only hear in a silent room.

I do saline washouts twice a day, I used cooled boiled water and I put flixonase in the washout.

I haven't heard anything about the results it's been a week and a half, to be honest as my symptoms are generally improving (very slowly I might add) I'm not going to chase the results, I have another appointment in June

Does that help?

• Posted

thanks....your limited symptoms (no hearing loss, very mild tinnitus and improving ear pressure) appear to eliminate some "bad" things, and it sounds like you are making progress.  Maybe the best thing is to just continue with what you are doing.  best of luck.  Let us know if it does not improve following next doctor appm't.

• Posted

Hi Catherine,  I think we've been in contact before.  I too have had, many years ago, a scan on my ears, nothing found !!  I've suffered this complaint since the 1980's and at present on a 20 day reducing course of Prednisolone steroid tablets.  Having suffered severe congestion, blocked ears, painful sinus and headaches, unfortunately, I had to request this prescription from my ENT consultant, whom I see twice yearly....he agreed they would dampen down inflammation and dry up mucus which is causing all the congestion.  I started the tablets 5 days ago taking 8 tablets all at once (5mg=40mg daily) today I've reduced to 6 tablets for 5 days, then 4, then 2 and finish.  I'm hoping that I regain my sense of smell and taste by the time the course has finished, until in a few months it all builds back up again due to allergies and Rhinitis.  Today is the first time I'm not congested.  I've stopped the Flixonase Aqueous Nasal Spray whilst on the steroid tablets and my asthma inhaler too, as I didn't want to take in an overloads of steroids.  I use NeilMed Nasal Rinse every morning.  One sachet desolved in hot water, when cooled I use, I'm sure it helps flush out allergens.  All these conditions go hand in hand and really don't think there is a cure.  I've had sinus operations where polyps have been removed.  The worse thing I find is the blocked ear and tinnitus, but even the tinnitus is very quiet since taking the steroid tablets.....so they are helping me.  Many people have to take this drug to eliviate pain from all sort of conditions, Rheumatoid Arthritis being one of them.  I usally only have short courses maybe once every other year when things get really, really bad, like they have this year, in fact it started in December 2016.  My left ear gest so bad being clogged up, that the eardrum perforates and I have to go and see my ENT consultant to have all the mucus suctioned out.  Grommets are only temporary !!  

I hope this information will help you and believe me I've tried everything, pretty much to no avail.....we can't keep having surgery !!

Regards Anne

• Posted

hi Anne.  You mention that you use the NeilMed Nasal Rinse every morning.  Have you tried using it more often?  I use it three times/day with distilled water (most supermarkets carry it in half gallon jugs).  This eliminates need to boil/cool water.  I've found that using it three times/day eliminates most of the allergens picked up by being outside or in dusty areas.  I have non allergic rhinitis that makes my Meniere's Disease symptoms flair up (tinnitus, ear fullness, vertigo).  The frequent sinus flush along with meds seem to control symptom flairup.  If your ear problems are related to allergy, this might be helpful.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for that advise Tanney,  I live in England and purchase NeilMed Nasal Rinse with the sachets that came with the bottle.  However, I could use more often to see if it helps.  It just says on the box once a day is enough.  Ingredients : USP Grade (Purity lvele 99% of higher) Sodium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate Mixture (ph Balanced. Isotonic, Preservative & Iodine Free)

Anne

• Posted

yes, that's the one.  My ENT encouraged me to use it as often as needed to keep sinus/nasal area free of allergens.  One other thought....if you work in the garden always use a mask and eye goggles.  You can buy these at any hardward store.  In the USA that would be Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  The mask and googles will keep most garden allergens from entering eyes/nose/mouth.  After gardening be sure to use sinus rinse.

allergic and non allergic rhinitus causes inner ear problem flairups for a significant number of people with ear problems.  Rinsing can be an easy solution to a lot of ear/nose/throat problems.  I'm curious to know if this helps you....let us know.  Good luck, Anne.

• Posted

Catherine,

So good to hear you are getting some improvement.  It has been 2.5 years for me of EDT. I had the MRI and tons of checks by different ENTs.  They found nothing and one told me it was possibly muscular-skeletal. So I did all the PT for tmj as well as some chripractic PT.  I also had my bite adjusted (thinking that might be part of my headaches).  Anyhow, nothing has helped.  Last April, the pressure in my left ear was so bad, I opted to try a grommet to help reduce it.  Sadly, my eardrum burst in July (just 3 mos later) and the grommet left a horrible hole that I will need a typaniplasti to repair.  The hole has caused increased tinnitus, and much more difficulty hearing because my drum now doesn't vibrate correctly.  I have in fact lost about 25% of my hearing in that one ear and am wearing a hearing aid now.  I have to go to the ENT once a month to get a paper patch,which helps, but given how long the hole has lasted, the only permanent repair will be surgery.  Anyhow, for what it's worth, I would avoid doing a grommet unless you really do have FLUID behind the ear.  I never had any fluid, I was just hoping it might help relieve the pressure.  BEST TO YOU.  Hang in there...it is really positive that you are finding some relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.