ETD for a year and 4 months.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum. I'm 21 years old and I have been suffering ETD for almost a year and a half.

My symptoms include: hissing tinnitus in both ears permanently, popping/clicking when I swallow/ move my jaw and sometimes when i walk.  A feeling of fullness and sometimes itchyness/hotness in both ears, occasional earache, feeling stuffed up permanenlty (mucus in the  back of throat, loss of smell, dulled hearing).

I have tried nasal sprays, nasal drops, decongestion tablets, prednisolone (steriods) and gluten/dairy free diets all to no avail. 

To put it mildly this condition has ruined my life. My ETD has caused severe anxiety which has led to me dropping out of university and breaking up with my longterm partner. Somedays I manage to keep a positive outlook on things with the hope that things will improve soon. other days I become completely overcome with emotions and  go to sleep hoping not to wake up.

I have a hearing test in two days with the NHS which i'm unbelievably anxious for. I'm also hopefully seeing a ENT doctor sometime in June. 

I'm mainly writing on this forum out of sheer desperation. My parents have told me never to google sypmtoms as it would just exacerbate my fears but I don't know where else to turn to. It's a very lonley feeling having this condition that you can't properly explain to anyone who is unaffected. 

Thanks for listening and I wish you all the best.

Alex

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi everyone

i know this thread is from a long time ago but im so hoping someone on here reads this and can give me some positivity with ETD? ive been suffering for 6 months- my ears crackle all day, never feel un popped completely, affectw my balance and im

only 30 with a 10 month baby and its so hard to do anything. i do my best all day but im absoloutely worn out not by my little girl but by my ears. can anyone recomend anything ?

thanks in advance for any replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.