ETD getting worse, ENT not helping

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been to the ENT 4 times and he keeps recommending me bs (OTC sprays, pills, etc) I scheduled an MRI, they said they'd schedule but it's been 2 months with no opening . My ETD has now spread to both sides of my ears and my job is at jeopardy. Still no offer for surgery, balloon dilation, vacuum cleaning, etc. I also have canted maxillary, mandibular setback, and a deviated septum one would think they are related but all my ENT can tell me is that he's stumped. This might be the end of my life if I don't get help soon

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

it is the most frustrating thing to live with this!!! its just awful ! eustachian tube dilation does not work ..I had it done..all it did was make my ears worse ! have you had grommets ? they do help..hope you get help soon

• Posted

I will mention it to my new ENT but I have to wait over 2 months to see them. I have some glue or something obstructing the passage so grommets will be my bet.

• Posted

Yes grommets may help too. Visit more ENT doctors. Take more opinions. You will find a good ENT who will understand you and will give proper treatment. Many options are there like balloon dilation, grommets, Vacuum cleaning etc. So help is available. Find good ENT. Visit 4-5 doctors if you need to.

Please don't lose hope. Keep fighting.

• Posted

I will. It takes months to schedule with them however.

• Posted

I've been to three different ENTs and they have all been useless unfortunately. A regular general practitioner was the only one who diagnosed my ETD.

Do not do vacuum cleaning! I have heard many times including from one ENT that it often causes permanent tinnitus.

It sounds like you have either an infection, or you are allergic to something in your environment or diet.

How long have you had this problem?

• Posted

Over a year now. I'm gonna exhaust all options TMJ, Orthodontics, Allergists,

I would accept ETD and tinnitus and a life of hell if I could just get my hearing back. But jesus christ are the hospitals slow and I'm almost completely out of finances. Tried every diet under the sun, spent a month in a different location, been on a course of antibiotics.

• Posted

I'm no expert whatsoever, but I havn't seen a case where someone had to live with ETD perpetually for life, but I have seen a couple anecdotals that said they had it for 3-5 years, and those who get reoccurring cases of it throughout their life.

I think your other issues certainly make you more prone to this issue like the deviated septum, so you might be in it for the long haul.

That's just my opinion from what I've read while scouring the internet forums.

Do you know what started the ETD? Did you just wake up with it one day?

• Posted

I've seen people on this form that have had it 10-30 years supposedly . Mine began after an ear infection and a blockage never cleared like I was told it would despite the complaints I raised to ENTS and my GPs. I wish someone actually could tell me what is going on I've heard allergies, TMJ, teeth, deviated septum, glue ear but not one that actually really gets it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.