ETD issues, retracted eardrums, possible perforations - general advice sought

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

Short story:

• Had glue ear as a child, grommets inserted probably around aged 5 ish.
  • Always had ear problems on planes as adult, never thought much of it as it didn't affect me a great deal.
  • Learned to SCUBA dive in the summer.
  • I believed that I was equalising properly (no pain during diving, none of the common symptoms of a perforation), but since doing the course I have had more problems.
  • I bought a USB otoscope so I could see for myself what my eardrums looked like.
  • I have a chronically retracted right ear drum - even when I feel it pop it quickly collapses again.
  • My left ear drum is not retracted (it has previously been) but it may have quite a large perforation (I'm not entirely sure if I'm looking at a perforation or not).
  • If I do have a perforation, this happened on a flight 4 weeks ago not during the diving (I know this because I was capturing images for some time, and it wasn't perforated after the diving but it was badly glue'd up).
  • My hearing seems ok to me, I occasionally feel a little off balance but not significantly.

I'm seeing an NHS consultant in a few weeks time.

Would love to discuss with those who have had any significant surgeries on their ear drums (tissue grafting) and Eustachian tubes (dilation?) in the UK. I can't reliably pop my ears still so if I do have any surgery I'd want to fix everything together.

I was considering a private consultation but may as well take the NHS appointment first.

I can post my images if people want to see them.

Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.