ETD questions

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, my names Ryan.

I've had a blocked euthracian tube in my left ear for about 2 weeks that developed from a sore throat 3 weeks ago. I went to the GP and he prescribed me a 5 course on amoxicillin, but it's turned out I had a viral ear infection.

I have a constant ringing for 2 weeks, and the pressure in my ear had reduced quite a bit, but it tends to be in the evenings when my ear gets a bit stuffy and I can hearmy voice in my head, when I pinch my nose and close my mouth and blow it pops and crackles.

I think my the pressure in my ear is reducing a little bit every day but the ringinging remains constant. I'm using decongestants when I get a bit stuffy which tends to be first thing in the morning and loads of steam baths.

How long do etds take to clear up? And once the tube opens up again how long before the symptons die down like the pressure feeling and ringing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to stay positive but I find myself teetering on the edge of a break down some times.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryan

Sorry to hear of your discomfort, sounds awful. I have had varying degrees of Tinnitus for quite a few years and there is no cure. However, you say you are taking decongestants. My GP recommended Neil Med nasal wash when I'd gone through a whole lot of decongestants with absolutely no luck whatsoever for constant nose blockage and it works! It isn't available on NHS but is a squeezy bottle with sachets of bicarb and sea salt which you lean over the sink and gently squirt up one nostril and it comes down the other, then vice versa. It washes away any mucus etc. and it also lowers my Tinnitus, so might be worth a go. It's expensive for what it is, but to me is worth it as I have wasted so much money on decongestants that don't do a thing for me.

I think by reading about it on here that it can take a while to get rid of, but as ear, nose and throat are all connected, perhaps the Neil Med might help.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

Thank you,

I will look into it,

I was just walking to my local Sainsburys and my ear felt became clogged out the blue and the ringinging started. It hasn't really changed in tone, to be honest.

My GP said its common to have ringing in your ears, and the popping and cracking sensation with a blocked euthracian tube. Have you ever suffered with this? If so how long did it take to clear up?

Kind Regards

Ryan

• Posted

Hi Ryan

No, but I sometimes get a bit of earache in left ear if I get a cold, can't dig around my left ear as it makes me cough and gag, although can clean out right ear no problem. I'm 70 going on 71 and have COPD and loads of other problems, including Tinnitus which GP says is incurable. Also some of the meds I have to take do have the side effect of Tinnitus. However, mostly I have got used to it and it doesn't bother me too much. Pain killers make it worse, so I try to keep off them as much as possible, although I think I'm suffering some hearing loss as the TV has to go louder and louder (driving my son up the wall and into his room with his computer and own TV and games consuls, thank goodness). If you are on any medication, check the side effects. My tinnitus sounds as if it's coming from my left ear, but if I block that, I can still hear it in the right ear, so it's just an illusion. Weird..!

Hope your's soon clears up,

Regards, Val.

• Posted

Thank you again, hope you feel ok.

I've read it can take several months to clear, so I will be walking around with a head phone in, with the sound of running water to combat it for the moment. smile

Kind Regards

Ryan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.