ETD - tubes made the problem worse?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I've had the typical crackling/popping sounds with some ear pressure for almost a year now, and was diagnosed with ETD a few months ago.

None of the medications worked, so my doctor finally decided to try tubes.  He only implanted one, to see if it helped, before doing the other. 

I had a horrible cold the day he did the tube, and my ears were extremely stopped up.  For about a week after the tube was inserted, it felt like I was under water, had extreme pressure and was very uncomfortable with the ear the tube was in.  The non-tube ear went back to normal after the cold subsided (including the ETD popping I had before).  But the ear with the tube is still EXTREMELY stopped up and the clicking/popping has returned.  I can't get the pressure to go away, the pressure squeezes uncomfortably every time I yawn.

Does this feeling ever go away while the tubes are in? Or is this something specifically related to my ear drum being messed up and getting the tube implanted while I was sick?

Anyone with similar experiences? I'd rather the doctor just take the tube out if my ear is gong to feel this much pressure and still have the ETD symptoms I had before.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Courtney,Welcome to the complainers club.Most folks here are in a very similar situation to yourself & of course we feel the need to share our misery with each other.Some  at a much greater length than others.If you look back & peruse my previous comments you'll find what the REAL TRUTH really is.

• Posted

Michael, for lack of knowing which ones to rrad, What is the real truth?? Nervous, ent wants to put tubes in my ear for a recessed ear drum..I'd really like to get info first. He also is giving me an ENG test. Iv got so many issues going on in my head I'm getting confused myself..

• Posted

Dear Terrie,I'm not a Dr. or a medical person in any way at all.Therefore I can only tell you of my  personal   experience & the bottom line is,"they don't know how or why ETD appears & have no way of curing it"Of course the say to try this or that & if a few people get a bit of relief (or think they do) then that is all to the good. I've yet to meet anyone who was actually CURED.

• Posted

Thank you for that Michael. Just so hard anymore to trust some drs. I truly blev alot of it is following the money..sad..yet I wonder if I didnt, what will happen to my hearing in tht ear ya know..it's like dang if I do and dang if I dont. He said my ear drum retracting causing a bone to rise in ear and it can be seen..so I'm really nervous..doing the excercise where ya hold yr nose and blow, and spray..hoping that may help..wink

• Posted

Hello Courtney,

My ENT consultant in England will not insert the ear tubes.  He told me

that with my ongoing problems with allergies, sinus and Rhinitis, as soon

as the tubes drop out the problem will return.

Have you tried a course of Prednisolone Steroid Tablets ?  They worked

for me back in April when I had a particularly bad episode with Eustachian

Tube Dysfunction.  A weeks course isn't long enogh, would have to be

a 20 day reducing course (reducing the tablets) Prednisolone gets rid

of all the inflammation the swells our tubes that prevents drainage.

Many people don't like to resort in having to use the steroid route,

however, they have helped me on numerous occasions.  It's so

awful waking up each morning to blocked ears, it ruins our lives.

Ask and try, then let me know how you get on.

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne! Thanks for your response!

I have tried the prednisone (about three months ago) along with all of the allergy meds and nasal sprays. No difference for me.

Unfortunately the tube is in and the problem hasn't gone away. Still the same clicking, but with a lot more pressure in that ear that won't alleviate itself.

• Posted

Oh courtney, my ent is wanting to put tubes in my left ear and I am nervous. He said we can wait and see if Tha improve but between the last two visits he said they've gotton worse..I am so confused as to what to do..I see several have said the rube didn't help..wonder if there is anyone it did help..?

• Posted

Which sprays did you try?  Have you been allergy tested?  I tried flonase - nothing, azelastine - nothing, dymista - side effects.  I tried taking flonase and azelastine together one right after the other - success!  Not complete success but it helped a lot.  Then the new allergist added singulair - huge difference!  Unfortunately, I had side effects (tremors) so I had to stop.  At my next visit he prescribed another med similar to Singulair but it's rarely used.  It helps too but not as much as the singulair.  I'm getting allergy shots but it's a long process.  

Plus I have TMD so I'm battling the two issues.  

• Posted

I asked about tubes last year and my ENT said most of his patients that have tried them didn't like them.  

• Posted

The only thing is he said my ear drum is regressing pushing undr a bone which ya can now see in my ear. So am afraid of losing hearing in that ear..just don't know wht to do..am doing excercises and flonase..hoping it helps where I won't have to. Pressure in ear is a Lil worse in just 3 months..ahhhhh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.