ETD what to do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i got told I have ETD and chronic rhinitis. I have had this trouble for several months now, my hayfever was awful this year so the doctor said it's probably because of that. I'm swallowing a lot of gunge at the back of my throat. He said to use Beconase nasal spray and antihistamine tablets. It's my left ear that's the problem, it pops and cracks and I get tinnitus in it too. If I yawn I feel it crackle too. It feels like i need to pop my ear but it won't pop. It's just frustratingly annoying! Don't know what else to try (only tried nasal spray, antihistamines and breathing steam in). 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I'm a UK lady too and have suffered your complaint since the 1980's and still do.  I can cope with the Rhinitis and Post Nasal Drip and everything that goes with it, headaches etc.  However, when it comes to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, I simply can't !!

Ask your GP to prescribe Flixonase Nasules.  You have to lean your head over the bed to administer.  You'll be allowed to stay on these for 6 weeks, then stop.  I then revert back onto the Flixonase Aqueous Nasal Spray, that's far better than the one you are currently using.....I found that one, worse than useless !!

My ETD became so bad back in April this year I was prescribed a 20 day reducing method of Prednisolone Steroid tablets.  They did the trick and cleared my left ear within a matter of days.  The inflammation went and I regained my sense of smell and taste.  Once I finished the course, I did what I've recommended to you, and used the 6 weeks course of the Nasules, now I've reverted back onto the Flixonase spray.  We all need relief from ETD as it drives us all mad.  I've now had 5 months relief, but I know that suffering Chronic Rhinitis and Allergies, like yourself, it will all return, when the inflammation takes hold yet again.  I've only been back on the Flixonase Aqueous for a week and woke this morning with a blocked left ear.....desperate to clear it I used a Nasule again, gently popped it and the tube has remained open all day.  I know in the  morning when I wake up, due to the post nasal drip it will be blocked again, this is an ongoing problem.

In my humble opinion, but a lot of experience with ETD, I don't think your medication is strong enough.  I have had five perforations in my left eardrum already this year and it's probably due to me keep trying to pop the tube open.  However, once there is a perforation my ENT consultant, whom I see twice yearly with this problem, uses microsuction to clear all the thick sticky mucus out....feels brilliant once it's done.

Sady, I'm not a prime candidate for tubes (grommets) to be fitted, or the Balloon Dilation, due to allergies, and I'm guessing my history.  Once the tubes fall out, the cycle will start all over again.

I always tell the people on this Forum to be careful with this condition, particularly if an earache ensues, as back in 1994, I contracted Bacterial Meningitis, due to the mucus having sat in the tubes too long and turning bacterial.  It crossed the blood/brain barrier and bingo I got meningitis.  I don't wish to alarm anyone and of course it's very rare, however always be vigilant if you get an earache with Eustachian Tube Dysfuntion, as it has the potential to turn very nasty.  Get yourself covered with antibiotics.

I hope I've been of some help and hope you soon get sorted.

Regards

Anne

• Posted

I have ETD causes by chronic rhinitis, TMJ and stress/anxiety (stress and anxiety can cause muscle tightness which leads to TMJ and ear problems).  

My ears make a loud crackling noise every time I move my jaw so I think that is TMJ related.  

For my allergies I did a round of prednisone recently to have repeated testing since I had to come off antihistamines.   It helped some.  

I take azelastine nasal antihistamines, flonase nasal spray (my ENT and allergist said these are the best combo he’s used).  I also started on Singulair.  After a couple of days I had a big improvement in my ears. After a few days my ears were the best they had been in months.  Then the side effects came.  I am very sensitive to medications and get rare side effects.   With Singulair It takes about 8 to 10 days to get fully into your system. On day 10 I started having shaking and tremors in my hands. They were really bad so I had to stop. My ear symptoms immediately came back.

I started twice per week allergy shots two weeks ago.  None of the allergy Medications other than the Singulair have helped my ears so they decided shots to eliminate  my allergies was the only thing left to try.

My TMJ is  mostly under control so there has been a slight improvement in my ear symptoms from that. 

Everything has helped a little but nothing has fixed me. I am hoping the shots reduce the inflammation but it will be a few months before we know if it worked

Ask about the azelastine , Flonase and Singulair.   There are a lot of supplements you can take that are good for inflammation and allergies. I recommend you look up Tumeric, quercetin with bromelain and MSM and bentonite clay.  

Oils that help with allergies are lavender, peppermint and lemon.  

• Posted

Hi all, I'm still very frustrated with my left ear. I have been doing the beconase nose spray and taking allergy tablet daily but no difference. I'm going to make another appointment to see my gp, it's driving me crazy. It can't get it to pop and it crackles a lot. I'm sure it's linked to my nose as I have post nasal drip constantly, my nose is always snotty (only been like it this year though, never had this before). 

• Posted

Hi, from one UK lady to another.  So sorry to read you're are suffering Eustachian Tube Dysfunction as I and many others do on this Forum.  Mine too is my left ear and I've suffered this for over thrity years now on and off.

Ask your GP to prescribe Flixonase Nasules Drops.  You lean your head over the bed for one minute after administering.  I've used these drops on and off for years now and they are the only medications that when I pop my ears after about half and hour of using them opens my tubes.  The maximum time anyone should be on them is six weeks twice daily.  However, when I recently finished that 6 weeks course and reverted back to the Flixonase Aqueous Nasal Spray within 4 days my left ear had blocked up again.  So I put myself back on the Nasules and th ear unblocked after I gently popped it.  I now only use them once a day, every other day and it seems to be doing the trick for me.

Back in April my left ear was so blocked I ask for a 20 day recucing course of Prednisolone Steroid tablets....they worked and got rid of all the inflammation.  Sounds like me the problem is the post Nasal drip, I'm sure that gets into the eustachian tubes........You must now be feeling really fed up with this and you need relief and fast !!

I've tried popping my ears and ended up perforating the eardrum, the hole isn't big enough to let the mucky mucus drain out so I see my ENT consultant and he uses Microsuction and clears it cleared it and felt wonderful.  I take a daily antihistamine too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Anne

• Posted

I have a gp appointment booked up for a couple of weeks time. My left ear is driving me nuts, I’ll see what the gp says... I just can’t get rid of it or my snotty nose. Started getting headaches too and have some pain over my cheeks, kind of below my eyes. 
    • Posted

Hiya again,  did you read my message above.   Really sounds to me as though you're

suffering sinuitis, typical of headaches over eyes.  Please ask him for what I'm currently taking

as I've now been good since April....never ever been as good as this in all the years I've

suffered.

Kind regards

Anne

• Posted

Is that the Flixonase Nasules Drops? I’ll ask him about those. The headache and eye pain I’ve only had this past week, I didn’t have that before. My ear still crackles a lot though, can’t seem to clear it. 
  • Posted

Thought id update you after today’s doctor visit. He thinks it’s allergy led - what allergy it is I have no idea. I’m considering getting myself allergy tested. He said to use cetirizine up to 4 times a day and has given me a steroid nasal spray called Mometasone Furoate. He said it’s quite a strong one. He told me to give it another 2 months. 
    • Posted

Hello again,  I take citrizine, 1 a day, wasn't aware you can take them 4 times daily, as mine says once. 

As you've now been suffering so long it's a pity he didn't prescribe what I'm using, Flixonase fluticasone propionate 400 micrograms (1mg/ml), nasal drops suspension.  Sprays no longer work for me, as they're

just not strong enough.  These drops I now only use when my ears block up which they did today.  After half an hour of putting them up my nose I pop them and they are clear for approx 3/4 days, then the cycle starts all over again.  These nasal drops should only be used for a max of 6 weeks using them am/pm But now they are the only thing that seems to work for me.  I only use them once when ears block.  Do go back if you find you don't get relief soon, as another 2 months is just miserable having to put up with ETD.

Let me know the strength of what he's prescribed you, as you can always go back and ask for mine.  Are you in England ?  I think I've ask you this before, as some countries you can't get it.  Also how long have your ears been blocked for.  Do you sneeze, or get blocked up, if not it's unlikely you are suffering from allergies, won't hurt to try the citrizine though, just in case they help you.

Anne

• Posted

It says on it each pump gives 50 micrograms and I can do 2 pumps in each nostril once a day, he said I can go to twice a day if no difference. I was on the allergy tablet already for once a day but he says I can take it 4 times a day even though it says once on the box. If this doesn’t help I’ll ask for the drops you take. Yes I’m so snotty in my nose, he thinks if I crack the blocked nose then it will clear my ear. I sneeze a lot too, I have found somewhere local where I can get allergy tested, so think I’ll do that. Yes I’m in the UK. Just can’t get rid of this ear thing, crackles a lot. Oh forgot to say he also told me to buy a nasal balloon so I’ve ordered one to try it. 
    • Posted

Sounds like me you too suffer allergies.  I suffer Sinusitis, Rhinitis and extremely clogged ears at times.

I bought the EarPopper from Boots £100....doesn't work.  Not sure how you'll get on with a Balloon.

Like I've said, the spray don't always work, but hope it does for you.  Just give it time and see.  After

a month if no better ask for what I use and I'm pretty sure it will help.

To suffer blocked ears for a month with no relief fills me with dread and so glad at last I'm using something

that seems to be helping me.  My left nostril gets very blocked, so using the Flixonase Nasules helps that too.  I only use it every 4 days now and happily it does the trick.

Good luck

Anne

• Posted

Thought I’d just do an update.

still got this blocked ear. It’s driving me nuts. It crackles all the time. I’ve been doing the spray the gp gave me and taking allergy tablet every day. I also have been doing the ear balloon (got on amazon for about £10). Nothing is getting rid of it. My allergies have settled down, I’m not sneezing as much but that could be the allergy tablet. I’m still swallowing a lot of mucus at the back of my throat. I’ve also now got a lump come up behind that ear. It’s very very sore, it’s behind the ear lobe and a bit higher. I don’t know what that is. 

• Posted

From one UK lady to another,

If you're still suffering, please ask your GP for the medication I'm currently using.  Six weeks on it, using it mornings and nights before bed, I really think you'll notice a difference.  I hang my head over the bed to administer and stay there for approx. 30 seconds.  Both my ears blocked yesterday, so used it and they have cleared.  I'm trying to only use it when ears block, which is approx every 6 to 7 days now, so no longer have to use it every day.  Ask your GP first for a 20 day reducing course of Prednisolone tablets, when they are finished then use the 6 weeks course of Flixonase Nasules.  All I can report is they've worked for me.  You may be lucky and your ears may clear permanently once you've got rid of all the inflammation that's preventing your tubes from draining.  Flixonase Spray is good too, but no longer strong enough for me.

Good luck

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.