ETD - will it go away?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, everyone. I have been suffering from ETD for a month now. Although it is not as bad as the rest of you here, it is making me really anxious. My symptoms include popping sounds when swallowing, muffled hearing (not severe), and sometimes sharp ear pain and ticklish feeling. The doctor said this was caused by my allergies however I don't remember blowing my nose when I first had this. I was only laying in bed with my earphones on when this happened. But after two days, I did have severe runny nose for about two weeks. But now I no longer have runny nose but I still have ETD. I am also concerned that my symptoms will worsen and even lead me to develop tinnitus sad It would be really nice if anyone could reply and clarify if this problem of mine will be gone soon.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've had mine ETD for almost 2 years. Had the ballon dilation done twice and still suffering. Wish my 6 doctors had the answers but they don't. Maybe 1 day.😢

• Posted

have you tried getting an incision in your ear drum? and what caused your etd?
    • Posted

Right there with you. Almost a yr. Along with Tinnitis. T started over 2 yrs ago. Could have had etd earlier but was diagnosed less than a yr. I have good and bad days..
    • Posted

After seeing 6 doctors, flying to San Diego from Hawaii twice and it wasn't successful I wont let them cut anything. They All act like this is the first time dealing with this and there guessing....so no, not letting them cut anything. This nightmare all started with just a head cold. I do not suffer from allergies or sinus problems. Never had any ear affections. Nothing! Just caught a cold.

• Posted

not a doctor but did a lot of research on etd (because it makes me super anxious) but have you checked if you have tmj? that might be the reason why
    • Posted

I go to dentist 2x year. Wouldn't TMJ show up in xray or do u have to ask them to specifically ck 4 it?

• Posted

I have heard so many say that's when theirs started. Makes ya wonder if there was a certain type of cold that caused this. So many out there suffering with this. Myself included..

• Posted

Nope....been to 2 dentists and I don't have TMJ. The neurotologist who specializes in nerves of the inner ear thinks it's not ETD and a issue with my inner ear.?????

• Posted

I've had ETD for over 12 years now. Been to many Drs. Was told by one in so many words, "You'll just have to get used to it". 

Some days it's worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.