Etiquette 2017

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband took me to a nice garden centre/restaurant yesterday on the way home from PT.  It was my first time to do anything like that since I had my surgery one month ago.  It felt so good to be out for a little while.  I'd never used crutches before and was quite alarmed at how many times I was bumped into or nearly ran over by other shoppers.  It really upset my husband and scared me.  My Mum always taught us to have compassion on the sick or injured but I guess 2017 is a different mind set. The experience won't stop me from going out, but I will be even more careful next time.  Have a lovely day!   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear that you ventured out! Always a bit scary each time you do something new with new body parts!!! (Driving was scary for me after my surgeries. It seemed like I hadn't been behind the wheel in YEARS rather than in just WEEKS!)

Yes, it DOES seem that so many individuals are in such a hurry with little regard for others. We just need to stand our ground, watch out for the crazies and BE CONFIDENT.

Yes, I was raised the same way. Did A LOT of holding doors, helping with packages, letting older folks go ahead of me in line etc. Maybe those folks just didn't have anyone to show them how to be compassionate.

Glad to hear that you aren't going to let this one experience stop you! Stay strong and enjoy your next adventure!??

• Posted

Omg, this is like reading about myself. The same thing was happening to me my first time out. Nobody seemed to acknowledge I had sticks, walked in front of me, I was the one who moved to let them past and I'm saying sorry at the same time. Unbelievable isn't it surprised

• Posted

It is unbelievable and it makes me feel bad for anyone on sticks.  All they need is another injury.  That's sad you experienced that also.  

• Posted

One rule of the road....nobody cares until they have been put in that position then suddenly they become the biggest advocates in the world for needing and wanting special treatment.

I am always thrilled when I see a youngster holding a door or helping someone with a walker, cane or crutches or even just a elderly person that's moving slowly. My wife's advanced Parkinson requires her to be on a walker full time and on occasion, a transport type wheelchair. You still see people almost running over us without a second thought.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.