Eureka moment in the bath (not rude)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm six weeks post RTKR and whilst having a little wallow in the bath (deep joy) I realised it was also a great chance to practise my knee straightening exercise.

While the knee is warm and relaxed it is a good time to press it down towards the bottom of the bath and aim for that elusive 0 degrees....

It seems to be a good place to try as it is not squashy like the bed and you will definitely know if you achieve it.

I appreciate that this will not be suitable for everyone, but I am finding it a positive way to aim for a straight leg.

Am seeing my surgeon for check - up next week and am working hard towards my target.

No pressure🙄!

Wish I had thought of this when I had the other knee done two years ago.

Hope someone else may find this useful.

Good luck to everyone with your re-hab. Don't despair, it takes time.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

ROM At Home

#3 will really help straighten the leg but aquatic therapy is ALWAYS a good idea when available.

• Posted

Hi Chico,

Already taking your advice on that one.

Managed 10 mins straight this am, but it's a killer!

Makes you want to chew the pillows😣

Just got to be bloody-minded, if that's not being rude.

• Posted

1. Get everyone out of the house
      2. Close all the windows
      3. Turn up the radio...waaaaaay up...
      4. Tell the neighbors NOT to call the police if they hear screaming
      5. Bury your head in a pillow

Now try it with strap-on ankle weights........

• Posted

i am 10 days in tkr and struggling with everything pain bending exercise im in a panic even tho i read and read about beleive in process im scared help

• Posted

hi Eimmarg,

DO NOT DESPAIR!! You have barely got home after the op and yes, those first weeks are pain. I am nearly 8 months post right tkr. The general consensus on this forum is that this is a journey of 12-18 months, with more ups and downs than you can imagine. But certainly, for me, the first two weeks were bad especially the nights, like someone was taking a sledgehammer to my leg and knee and hammering with all his might . I was just rolling on the bed in agony wishing I'd never done the op and in those first few weeks i was on a ton of meds. But doing the physio exercises is a must. it does get easier, but only your body controls this. There is no given timeline, just patience and perseverance. By 5:weeks I was going up and down stairs properly - 17 stairs in our house - and no stick or walker. i still have stiffness after sitting, or getting up in the mornings and still do my physio exercises. Be kind to yourself, celebrate every little achievement and if you want to shout and scream just come on the forum. Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.

• Posted

Hi Eimmarg,

It is hard, you are likely to be feel physically and mentally pained and exhausted.

It takes a long time: when I had my first one done two years ago, I thought it would be a walk in the park (no pun intended). It was like being beaten up by a steam roller.

If you can just think about what has been done to your leg, then you can start to realise that it is going to take time and a huge amount of effort to recover.

However, think how good it will be when you can walk pain free.

The first two weeks are horrible, but hopefully then things will slowly start to improve.

I found that jotting down any small improvements, or first achievements helped me to see that I was making progress, even if they were only tiny points.

Do the best that you can each day, rest and ice, follow your exercises as much as you can. Cry if you need to, try not to kick the dog! Be kind to yourself.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for that idea. I already put weight on my knee for 10 minutes and that is excruciating. I’m gonna give this tub thing a try. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.