EUS scheduled, what to expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just looking to hear from folks who had an EUS procedure and hopefully you'll tell me how awesome it was and that there were no complications! Feeling a wee bit nervous....

Also, were your results what you expected? Is this a good test to diagnose very early CP?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I just had my first EUS a week ago. I don't have the results yet but you should not be nervous. It is very very low risk. The next day or two I had a minor sore throat and that was all. As far as diagnosing very early CP.. I'm not sure if it would be since its hard to diagnosis early. But you never know what it Could find. Good luck and don't worry about the EUS.

• Posted

Glad to hear your procedure went well! I hope you get the answer you are looking for...

Yes, it does take long to diagnosis CP...have you been diagnosed yet? What are your symptoms?

• Posted

Hey you don't have to be nervous. I had my EUS a year ago and there was no complications. By my EUS, my doctor determined that my condition has progressed from AP to Early CP. Hope have a good experience, good luck.
  • Posted

I just has my first eus in July  it went well and I got the results that day. The only trouble I had was then no longer schedule per procedure interviews at the hospital I was referred to. I called the hospital to tell them I was anxious about the anesthesia   The nurse I spoke to spent a lot of time assuring me that they use propofal and how wonderful it is because it's short acting without making you feel groggy I researched eus with propofal on line and felt really comfortable. The day of the procedure when they started my iv I told them I didn't want a sedative. They told me I had to have a sedative because I was having a breathing tube. I told them no one told me anything about a breathing tube!  When I asked the head anesthesia dr what the plan for sedation he told me only propofal.  After the procedure I discovered that a "breathing tube" is really endotracheal entubation which involved being given paralytics that make you unable to breath on your own. They put you on a ventilator for the entire procedure they also gave me fentanyl (which I had a bad experience with before). I asked before procedure what I would have and was told only versed and propofal. They told me they entube everyone for eus now. Nice if they told me before when I called. So much for informed consent !  This was at UMass memorial hospital in Worcester Ma 
    • Posted

What?!?! That's crazy Donna! Thanks for sharing your story...they also told me over the phone the procedure is done with propofal. I had an endoscopy done with propofal and recovery was easy and I was expecting the same with the upcoming EUS...I'll check with my doctor to make sure thanks for the info!

• Posted

Is your procedure at a clinic or hospital ?  I had an endoscopy at a clinic with no sedation and it was fine. Make sure to ask your dr all meds they plan to use. My anesthesiologist told me he "missed the cue" that when I asked what he would use for anesthesia for the eus I meant everything. So he just told me propofal   They actually gave me over 7 drugs from muscle relaxant s,paralytics,drying agents,200 mcg of propofal ,100 mcg of fentanyl and on and on.  I have no risk factors. They tape your eyes shut. I was drugged as if I was having major surgery for a elective diagnostic procedure   I can't believe they did that without informing me first since I asked the head anesthesiologist directly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.