Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Posted , 5 users are following.

In August last year I went to a music festival, and afterwards my left ear felt blocked. A few days later I went on holiday and as I usually do I got some pain in my ears and my left ear was blocked for quite some time. Fast forward to now and I’m still suffering. My ear doesn’t feel blocked or ‘full’ right now but I’m still having a few issues. When I yawn or burp, my right ear crackles/pops as it should, but my left ear feels as though it’s right about to- but doesn’t. The same happens when I try to pop my ears by holding my nose and blowing. When I’m around loud noises, such as the fire alarm tests at work, I can sort of hear the noise pulsing in my ear (I hope you understand what I mean) and every now and again my left ear will block up a little, and I tend to hold my nose and blow, and although it doesn’t ‘pop’ I do get relief, and then a little pain for a few minutes after. My doctor said I have ETD and has given me a nasal spray, which isn’t working. I’m struggling to believe I have ETD as my symptoms sound different to everyone else’s when researching. For info my doctor has looked down my ears and everything is clear. I go on holiday on Sunday and I’m really worried that this is going to ruin it if my ears are painful from the plane.

Does anybody know if this is ETD or what else it could be? And also anything other than the steroids I could try?

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had ETD in right ear for 30 years or more. It started when I flew home from Hawaii with a bad cold. 

I am planning on having the balloon dilation in August...one last try.

I usually feel that my right ET is clogged, pops, and feels like there is fluid in here.

I have lived with this for half my life.

I try to live with it, but painful when I fly.

I'm hoping the dilation works.

I use Nasacort, but cannot take steroids.

I'm lucky to have the House Ear group here in LA.  Tops.

Judi Welch

Pacific Palisades. 

• Posted

Hi, please review my previous threads, I suffered with ETD last winter after sinus infection. Nothing worked but I continued searching forums and such.

Find Dr. Mandell on YouTube, his video on Tinnitus helped immeasurably. Short of it no cure, but his exercise has worked but is a continuous therapy. How it works for me is in prior threads under 

Terry 76821 Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks, will check it out...I don't have tinnitus but my husband does. Drives him crazy.

I have constant closed ET and right sinus....I'm going to Ear House on July 21st. May have balloon dilation.

Judi W

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.