Eustachian Tube Dysfunction - hearing loss - cracking in one ear - swollen eustachian tube

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am not sure what to do as I have been to two ENT's and neither are of much help.  I have had various tests, endoscopy, MRI, etc.  Nothing really shows up.  I have had allergies my whole life and often have sinus issues and have experienced a good number of ear infections over the years.  Right now, I am struggling with swollen eustachian tubes but not due to fluid but due to pressure; I have had some dizziness but that is less now; I had been feeling like I was constantly on a plane but that is less now.  I also have permanent hearing loss.  It is possible that this is connected with 20 months on the osteoporosis drug Forteo.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do.  I feel like I am at a loss.  The second ENT I went to said it is migraine oriented - which makes no sense to me as I have none of the migrainesymptoms which I knew for years.  Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello jayne,

Have you tried any of the ETD Excercises?

• Posted

I am not familiar with any of the exercises.  The only exercise I was shown was brandt daroff for vertigo which I did also experience through all of this.  I wasn't given any other exercises.  Are you familiar with any?

• Posted

My ent told me to hold my nose, keeping mouth closed, gently blow and try to pop ears. This has helped me tremendously. We have to keep pressure off ears. That helps to release it. Also I saw online where you take yr earlobes and pull out sideways and open mouth and jut chin forward do that several x a day..my ent told me to do menuvier of the nose holding 20 to 30 x a day, but I tell ya, it seems to be helping with my ears stopping up, the dizziness and head buzzes..try it
    • Posted

Will try again..ent told me 20 to 30 x a day to close mouth, hold nose, gently blow and try to unpopular ears to relieve pressure..also I saw to hold ears out sideways, open mouth and jut xhin..few x a day..helping alot
    • Posted

Yes, it will help.  However, I was told by my ENT consultant not to keep doing this.  You can potentially end up with perforated eardrums, like happened to me.  So hard not to keep doing it when the blockness feels so awful.  There is a reason why your ears blocked up in the first place though, so it will happen again.  It feels so good when the tubes behave how they should, but it is short lived with me when I do this and they re-block

Anne

• Posted

Hello Jayne,

You do in fact have ETD and due to your allergies and sinus issues (like mine) mucus sticks our tubes together and can take forever to clear.

Having suffered for so long I always recommend to people on the Forum what has helped me.  I've Suffered Eustachian Tube Dysfunction for 40 years and still suffering to this day.  I see my ENT consultant twice yearly.

I would recommend you request a course of Prednisolone Steroid Tablets....only medication that will rid you of

all the inflammation that swelled your tubes making them impossible to drain.  I repeat myself time and time again saying the same thing to people on here....you could scroll down and find my posts to people on the Forum.  If you do get prescribed the course will have to be long enough for them to work.  Mine is usually a 20 day reducing course.  Only side affect from them is insomnia, but a small price to pay to get yours ears cleared.

Once the tablets are finished sleep will resume to what is was.  I always ask what country people live in, as I

am able to get another medication once the steroids have been finished that have kept the ETD at bay.  I'm in 

England.

Let me know how you get on and welcome to the Forum.

Anne

• Posted

Anne, thank you so much.  I wish that would work for me.  I tried it short term in early December and it probably is the best answer.  But, I have severe osteoporosis (I am only 58) and had a severe injury 2 years ago which put me on a drug for osteoporosis called Forteo which could have caused more of the problems????  Anyway, the steorids are great but don't think I can take at least not long term.  I have tried many steroid sprays.  If you have any other comments, I would appreciate it.  I am suffering and the hearing loss is the worst.  Thanks.  Jayne

• Posted

Also, I was prescribed a mild anti-depressent (not for the reasons of depression as I do not suffer from that) for what the ENT feels is migraines and feels my problems are migrane oriented; but I don't feel that is the case.  Has anyone gone that route and has it helped the eustachian tubes?

• Posted

Hello again Jayne, always happy to help anyone suffering ETD.....such a miserable condition.  Forgot to ask, which country are you in.  I'm currently using Flixonase Nasule Drops, stronger than the spray.  However, because at last I seem to have got on top of this wretched problem, I only use the drops when my ears block up, give them a gentle pop and I'm good for another week.

I'll be seeing my ENT consultant next Wednesday and hoping he doesn't take me off them.

Maybe your doctor is trying to relax you, as stress is the worse thing for blocked ears.  I really feel for you and all your problems.  Not fair is it ??  The steroid sprays just aren't strong enough and no longer work for me.  My problem is allergies and sinusitis, that causes me to make a lot of mucus that somehow makes it's way into the eustachian tubes.

If you too live in England ask for the Nasules.  6 weeks course using morning and nights, may sort you out.

Good luck Jayne and happy to read your posts and help where I can.

Kind regards

Anne

• Posted

Thank you Anne, I am in the USA.  I wonder if I can get the Flixonase here?  I never heard of it.  I will check it out.
    • Posted

Morning Jayne,  Sadly, you can't.  I've alredy ask my nephew, who's a pharmacist in the States.  You can however get the Flixonase Spray, but I think they call it out there Fluconase, or something like that.  Mine are Flixonase Nasule Drops, not a spray.  Being America, who seem to be ahead of every other country in the world would have it....maybe there is an alternative.  Would have to be stronger than the spray to work though.  Once you've managed to unblock yours ear it can then be used just for a maintenance top up, like I do.  Once weekly for me now, which is brill !!

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.