Eustachian tube - how long does it take to drain?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Last week i started feeling fluid move down from my ear to my throat. Felt thick and moved slow.

Now i feel the fluid more loose and feel it try to drain a few times a day. Is it a good sign if the fluid feels more loose?

How long until it fully drains and i stop feeling the fluid? Its a weird and somewhat uncomfortable sensation!

I just saw my ENT dr who said my ear looks fine and to wait it out for things to go back to normal. I had a cold/sinusitis 2 weeks before this issue.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Hannah

Just found this thread.

Has yours cleared?

I'm having exact same problem, mainly with right ear.

Have been using steroid nasal spray, pinching and blowing nose and also facial steaming.

how would you describe It as it was clearing?

Mine feels like a hot watery full sensation inside my ear!!

Thanks in advance!!

• Posted

Yes it cleared after about 2 months but the fluid comes back of I stop taking the steroid spray. I never had trouble with my ears and it's just awful. There's nothing worse!! 

• Posted

Did your doctor see fluid?  My ears felt wet for a long time and the doctors said there was nothing there. It was just air trapped in the ear due to the Eustachian tube not functioning properly.  It sure felt wet to me!  
    • Posted

Hello Ann,  if your ear felt wet, it's the fluid trying to drain, so sounds as though like me you have a tiny perforation.  I've had 5 months complete relief from ETD, having taking steroid tablets, the stronger steroid drops, then back onto the steroid spray.  Like you, as soon as I reverted back to the spray that I take permanently, my eustachian tubes=, left ear started to block up again.  I know I hav another perforation as when I wiggles the ear with my finger I can hear squelching noises.  I'm seeing my ENT consultant on Thursday next week and hopefully I'll be given the miicrosuction again to suck out all the fluid (mucus).  I've had this procedure done so many times now.  After having the 5  months, I hate this feeling of fullness again.  When I gently pop the ear I can hear so much crackling going on.  This is such an awful condition to suffer.

Anne

• Posted

My name is Mary for the last two months it started as congestion in my nose so than I went to the emergency room because I just felt horribly. The steroid shot worked the congestion was gone but now I have crackling  in my ears that just won’t go away . I had a hearing test done and my hearing is fine so than they said that my allergies have my ears feeling this way I’ve been on a nose steroid for a month and it just continues on my ears won’t stop popping and I have anxiety and at times I’ll have a anxiety attack it totally freaks me out. Will this go away anytime. I do have that disfunction that people talk about with there ears. Someone please tell me something am I alone in this.😞😞

• Posted

Hello Mary,

If you've read my posts I suffer just like you're.  I'm experiencing crackling too at the moment....not sure why this happens, probably mucus due to allergies and sinusitis.

The steroid injection you were given got rid of all the inflammation which we all suffer with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  Ask your doctor if he'll prescribe a reducing course of Prednisolone steroid tablets, they work every time for me.  I would recommend a long enough course to sort you out.  A weeks course taking 6 tablets in one go just won't help....you'll need a reducing course where tablets are reduced slowly.

Fortunately, I haven't had to have a course for a couple of years, as the Flixonase Nasule Drops are helped me for the past 15 months, with only the occasional blocking of my ears, which I manage to sort out by gently popping them.

You could try a Nasal Rinse to clear sinuses of any allergens....something I do on a regular basis, it does help.

ETD is one of the most awful things to suffer long term and not easy to clear up, certainly not on a permanent basis, unless surgery is performed and that's not always successful.

Try the Prednisolone tablets and see how you go on....let me know if you do get them and if they work for you....I'm pretty sure they will !!

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Hi Hannah 

Yes the doctor said that my ear drum was literally bulging with fluid!! 

It took a good 2 months of the steroid spray to clear it, however if I stop using the spray it comes back!! 

I have finally had an appointment through for the ENT next month so hopefully they will find out what's going on?! 

It was the ringing in my ears that was the worst, it literally drove me to feeling like I was going mad!! Xxx

• Posted

Hi Emily im having same problem , but like you the ringing in my ear is driving me insane , did it clear once the fluid drained?
    • Posted

Sadly, once you experience Tinnitus you are usually stuck with it.  I suffer Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and have done for many years......my ears at the moment are clear, however the ringing, or high pitched whistle goes on and on.

Anne

• Posted

Fear not sweetheart, it will start to ease after the fluid drains. I'm a real worrier, abc it's just the worst thing EVER!!! 

It took a good 2 months before I noticed a difference, but it is much better now. 

Try not to panic or worry to much as I find this makes it worse, and anxiety sets in. You will be fine. Sending lots of love. Xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for getting back to my question! It is absolutely frightening thinking I'm going to be stuck with this alarm going off in my head for ever !! Wishing you good health from here on out, sending hugs and love as well!

• Posted

I hurt my ears while rubbing them with the joint of my right thumb. They have been dischargine drainage since. I hjurt my ear before 8 am this morning. How long will thit continue on  for.
    • Posted

Hello Phillip,  maybe you should get your ear checked by your doctor, or the practice nurse.  They will be able to tell you if you've got an infection in it.....ears shouldn't really cause a discharge.  Do you think you could have perforated your eardrum ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.