Even drier skin after starting with 50mcg levothyroxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I found myself having mild hypothyroidism, with the typical sleepiness, being slow in thought, having slightly dry skin, etc. I knew this was coming, because a couple of years back I had undergone radioiodine therapy for my hyperthyroidism. 

For over a week now I'm on 50mcg levothyroxine. I guess somewhere around the day 3 of taking it I developed this horribly dry skin. Needless to say, it itches all over. It's way more dry than it was before. 

So here's my question... is it normal? Did anybody here have the same thing? I really hope it's just something that happens after starting with a new dosis and passes after a while. 

I honestly don't think that the dosis I get is too high, though I know that would explain the dry skin. It's just that I know very well how having too much thyroid hormones feels like... and that's not it. I'm still rather slow and sleepy and all that. 

Let me know what you think of it. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

all i can add is try using  cold pressed organic coconut oil for the skin., sorry no more to add.
    • Posted

The magic of coconut oil. I heard people use it for everything. 

So how do you actually do it? Do you use it on the skin just like a lotion? I have a jar of coconut oil lying around that I sometimes use for cooking. 

• Posted

I use it too, I mix it with lotion . 2 parts lotion 1 part coconut oil. 
  • Posted

That I is a very quick reaction as Levothyroxine typically takes a few weeks to take effect. So I am wondering if you may have an allergic reaction here, possibly to the drug itself or something else in the tablets. Switching to an NDT preparation made from animal thyroid might be a way to find out. If you still suffer the reaction then it’s the Levothyroxine, if not, it was something in the original tablets.
    • Posted

I really hope it's not an allergy... In a couple of weeks I have another check-up, so I guess I'll wait till then and see if it gets worse. 

• Posted

I would say that your dry skin is a more from being hypothyroid than from the levo, especially since you just started. I find that there is often a lag between symptoms, blood work numbers, and meds. If you are on the correct dosage, the hope would be in time you will have lessening of hypo symptoms, i.e. dry skin. 
    • Posted

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks. I thought the meds were supposed to work way quicker. 
  • Posted

sounds to me you are not on enough. The dose cannot be increase immediately, but has to be a gradual buildup.  Go back to your  Dr and tell him/her how you feel. meanwhile  keep up the coconut oil. i hope it works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.