Evening binge drinker.....how to stop

Posted , 5 users are following.

Drinking is entirely my choise.  I blame no-one but myself.

I don't go out any more.  I choose instead to stay home alone drinking 2 bottles of wine per evening or at least three quarters of a liter of vodka.

Last Friday I stopped.  Enough was enough.  I've lasted 4 evenings so far but I find myself on edge.  This is not to first time I've been here.

I cannot even contemplate admitting to firends, family or collegues my situation.

How do people keep up their motivation to continue?  I would love to hear other peoples experiences.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ronny I quit two weeks ago,it was hard---very difficult.

I go in supermarkets and it's in my face...booze.

Good luck Ronny,the way I did it was by scamming a load of diazepam and sweating hell of a lot.

I am now on a saction by the JC PLUS--4 WEEKS,I can't win,it's so tempting too get Hammered again !

• Posted

hi ronny1899  you seem to have a lot on your mind,take it from an old hand, i have been there, the first thing you should do is tell your friends and family (chances are they know anyway ) you will be surprised at the support they will give you, and right now you need them, i did the same as you but 2 bottles leads to 3 and soon it will be a full liter of vodka. i have been where you are i was one of the lucky ones i passed out in my home but my partner called and she called the ambulance, if it had not been for her i would of died,please dont let that happen to you, go out and shout from the roof tops I NEED SOME HELP HERE  i wish you so much luck  and i look foreward to hearing good news from you  take care

• Posted

Hi Ronny. I have been a heavy drinker for many years until advised to slow down by my GP after a liver test. I abstained for a month and felt so much better, but like you, on edge all the time. I don't need to drink, but I WANT to. It makes me feel good. I have slowed down over the years to the point where I now know when I don't need any more for the evening. I drink slowly and feel the efeects before I have had too much. I have days off during the week, probably not enough, but I have never felt that I couldn't face life without it. Unfortunately is too big a part of my life, meeting family in the pub at the weekends etc. Drink slowly, and enjoy some days off too. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Ronny

I'm still struggling with my drinking too... I thought I'd reached the point where I had the wake up call I needed (constant memory loss, upsetting friends and family, my counsellor and GP telling me I'm drinking dangerously), but I've carried on & now I'm starting to think I have serious issues.

Like you, I can easily drink 2 bottles of wine at home in the evening on my own, or, most recently, just over half a litre of neat whisky. I also often find myself opening the wine in the afternoon at weekends, justifying the fact that "it's past midday". I don't know what it achieves, other than relaxing me and blurring the edges.

How are you getting on? Well done or managing 4 days without it. Are you still not drinking?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.