Evening meal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm wondering how many units of premixed humalog 25/75 insulin should I inject for evening meal. As I am having difficulty with it. I go for a walk after meal also which will affect sugar as you know.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Tom, my mother was on insulin for a while. My recollection was that we had to adjust her insulin levels based on her blood levels. So the amount was constantly changing. I found it very complicated.

I can’t remember exactly, but  I think the way we did it was to check her levels prior to eating. Then once she ate, we did the injection based on her levrls prior to eating. That doesn’t  seem right to me now.

It’s extremely important that you call your doctors and get some proper help on how much to dose at what glucose levels, exactly when to check your blood, etc.

Having too much or too little insulin us very serious.

• Posted

I'm now wondering how many type 2 diabetics who inject twice daily in ireland. Or indeed the whole planet. I fancy not that many. Its a pretty tough form of diabetes as the insulin has to be loaded for 12 hours at a time. Type 1's can control it at the time of eating but I'm sure theres probably drawbacks with that.

• Posted

Hi Tom, yes, it was a nightmare trying to keep track of my mother's meds. I think they had diagnosed her type I. 

She’s elderly and unable to manage the disease herself. The cost of diabetes maintenance in a care facility would have been an extra $4000 per month. Plus the cost of meds, which is another $1000 after double (Medicare + private) insurance.

I was terrified I’d make a mistake, as incorrect insulin can be deadly.

It was definately worth the ton of work I did with her diet and all, as it paid off in care costs and meds, as well as quality of life. 

She still keeps a good diet. She is gluten free avoids processed foods and sweets. In the end, much easier to manage the food than the meds.

• Posted

Did your doctor not tell you how much insulin to use morning and evening? I was given a basic amount to use but alter it according to what my blood sugar is before my evening meal (not according to what I eat) which is what my diabetes team told me to do. My morning inslin is always the same.  It is important to to check your blood sugars regularly and to know what is the safe range for you.
    • Posted

I think I'm injecting too much insulin in the evenings. Walking is bringing it down also. I dont walk in the morning so maybe thats the difference. Only problem I have is when I come back from walk, I eat again and then dont have enough insulin as I didnt inject that much to begin with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.