Events that Mimick TIAs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Almost 2 years ago, my wife started having, with what acts like, Ministrokes.  She has had over 60 of these events with varying severity.  Sometimes she has quick recovery, sometimes it takes days.

Loss of movement is always on her left, her eating is affected, her left eye, left face drooping, left arm, left leg. Just like a TIA, this can affect her for a short time and mostly resolve itself within a couple hours or take days to resolve.  CT Scans show nothing and stroke doctor says they are not strokes.  Our neurologist says she is not an epileptic per some tests she did.  Her blood tests show no STDs. She does not have Celiacs disease either.

She does have several health conditions but the doctors are stumped.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Im hoping someone out there knows what this is.

Only about 5 of them have happened during the day.  The rest have happened at night and begun while sleeping.  Sometimes, 2 at night.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ebstein's anomaly is a rare heart defect that's present at birth (congenital). In Ebstein's anomaly, your tricuspid valve — the valve between the chambers on the right side of your heart — doesn't work properly. Blood leaks back through the valve, making your heart work less efficiently. Ebstein's anomaly may also lead to enlargement of the heart or heart failure. My Grandfather had tricuspid valve Incompetence and died at 32... In 1929. My Mother had a small hole in her heart.. died at 67..congenital defect.
    • Posted

No not me> and my Kids have good Heart Health..My Grandfathers Family had problems though a lot of them died in the 1900's Great Grandmother lost at least 6 of her children..one of them in WW1 at Ypres..

• Posted

According to my wife's heart dr.  Ebsteins's anamoly is usually from mal-nutrition of some kind.  During the depression era, there were many people that were starving.

Most of the time Ebstein's is seen now in 3rd world countries.

• Posted

I only learned all this from Genealogy.. must of been hard for my Greatgrandfather who saw most of his Family die.. only one who survived was my Auntie Flossie who died childless in 1973.. Very interesting though and important to know Family History Medicine..We are lucky to have help at our fingertips today.. My Mother was born the same year her Daddy died1929 Oct 3rd she was born Postumously.
    • Posted

I wander if it was in this case from INFECTION/Virus like Syphilis, Great grandfather suffered many bouts  onboard ship the Jumna in the 1880's in India during the Boar war..then obviously its passed on to his wife..he was only 19 I have the Medical records. Many Virus' cause heart defects.
    • Posted

My wife was the 1st born of 8 and she was the only one in her entire family that has heart disease.  She has had 6 or 7 open heart surgeries, the first one at age 11, as well as several pacemaker changes.

We asked for a MRI compatible when the last one was changed and the HMO said no, even though we had a good reason.

Dealing with the heart all these years, she doesnt need these mini stroke mimicks, that total around 65 to date from November the year before.

• Posted

Slighty later my Granfather was in India and South Africa. He left the Army as he wanted to spend time with his family and died very soon after in 1906 leaving Granny with five children to bring up. His leaving the Army cost her his Sergeants pension.
    • Posted

God very hard for Granny..we dont know we are born do we these days.. at least we have Antibiotics today.. so important to find new ones to hit the MRSA's and Ebola's of this world..
    • Posted

My other Granny who married a well off wine merchant in 1902 and lived in Queen Street, Ednburgh. He turned out to be a womaniser so she took the five young Kids and left to work as a cook to support them. In one job when she asked for a rise the restaurant owner told her to sell her body like the rest. She walked out.  
  • Posted

Hi there, I was wondering if she's had an MRI of her entire spine and brain? I ask this because the "events" she's having are very similar to the same issues several people with the same spinal cord disease as me have had. It sounds like she might have an excessive amount of cerebrospinal fluid and that can cause "stroke like events".
  • Posted

Another thing that makes me think it could be too much cerebrospinal fluid or intracranial hypertension is that you said these events mostly happen during sleep. I'm thinking that while she's laying down that fluid could be, basically, flooding her brain stem. It's a gravity thing is what I'm trying to get at. I haven't read all the comments yet so this may have already been discussed. If so, I apologize.
    • Posted

Hi Thank you. It sounds like something new, I haven't heard.

Can you contact me.

User base at gmail

• Posted

User name at Gmail .com

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.