Every 3 years colonoscopy recommended in my case.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Every 3 years I have a colonoscopy anyone else? I have had pylops removed in the past during colonoscopies. It has been recommended to  have a colonoscopy every three years. 

I have a really hard time with the prep it is very difficult and seems to really cause stomach issues for weeks later. Getting back the bacteria balance. Probiotics and yeast.

Foods are difficult to pass have had galbladder removed and find my doc adding to eat more fiber. Some of the fiber foods I do not seem to digest. Especially cabbage and peas. Several other veggies as well. I also drink fiber added to water and other types of fiber available. 

Anyone have this problem after colonoscopy? 

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You tend to get a recommendation for 3 years if you have polyps removed regularly or sometimes even with age. I had a 3 year recommendation recently even without them because of age but I'll probably give it 5. If you get polyps over a 3 year period then I would think you do need them that regularly because if you have polyps it's best to have them removed and they are easier to remove the fewer and smaller they are. I get some digestive disturbance afterwards but not as much as you seem to get. Have you discussed that with them? It might be the removal of the polyps as much as the colonoscopy. I am also very sensitive to some fibres such as wheat, legumes and certain nuts. More fibre is generally good but some people can tolerate more than others. I have definite limits as to how much I can have and I won't take more than that. Everyone finds the prep a nuisance but it's only a day. I had a colleague who had bowel cancer. That was a lot, lot worse including the treatment and it didn't have a good ending so I think you have to balance the unpleasantness of the colonoscopy against the thing it is preventing. You might try balancing fibre intake though, because too much if you are sensitive to it can be miserable. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time for your response. Great to read your kind and understanding and balanced info . It's important to weigh in other  opinions. Helps to make it thru it's Like a cyber friend hold my hand thru words of logic and encouragement.

It makes absolutely good sense. It's the prep that continues to go on for days. Very painful and Imodium helps . I asked my doctor if they have the same prep this year and his nurse replied yes. It takes me weeks to get back my energy . Even drinking enough water I feel so exhausted tired. 

I agree its only a few weeks but considering the consequences it the best thing in my case. It is hard to balance the whole experience . I seem to have a longer reaction to the prep even if I only drink 3/4 of it suggested last time. 

Soon on it's coming up dreading the test with hopes of no palyps.

• Posted

I had one four weeks ago and had one polyp removed rescoped in 5 yrs.  Mine was trouble free with no sideffects as if I did not have the procedure at all,  I had to wait for four weeks for the results of the biopsy and got the all clear.  Family history of bowel cancer.  I, too ahd gallbladder removed and after a year I started having abdominal pain and loose stools on and off.  It is possible that having no gallbladder is causing problem with your digestion,  I can eat anything but sometimes my tummy gets upset for no apparent reason.  Dr said I have got IBS.  It is manageable with probiotics. It is a pain to have it done every three years but if it going to save your liefe it is worth the pain and discomfort.  We are all different and some people can cope better. I must say I was dreading it and not looking forward for another one in 5 yrs.  I spent 4 weeks worrying about the biopsy I was told you could ask the person who did it whether the polyp looked suspicious.  I was told it takes 4 to 6 weeks for routine exam if I have known earlier it could stopped me from stressing.Good luck for your colonoscopy
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

Good news after waiting all that time very happy you had a clean scope and proud of you for do it!  It can be hard on our intestines clearing them. And I am so sick for a few days in my case.

I take probiotics and yogurt too,since eating yogurt I have had very little tummy issues, I stay with a clean diet . I do have my slip ups every now and then but every once in awhile have tummy issues, I have learned over time what my trigger foods are and stay away from them. 

Your right Stress is probably another trigger will try to remain calm and cope better. 

Thank you for your response. Makes a lot of sense.

Hope xxx

• Posted

Just happens I'm preparing for  tomorrow morning's colonoscopy  this afternoon. Combo of three laxatives. But main one I think is Miralax. (Polyethylene Glycol)

Mostly concerned i slep so little last night in apprehension, and will probably be up another night-tonight--purging at the bathroom. will keep posted

• Posted

Ooooh I know exactly what you mean. I does effect sleep I have worn adult diaper to bed can't there quick enough some times. I hope you do sleep well tonite. 

Last time the gasto had to vacuum all the fluid out before the colonoscopy.  I just barley made it to the appointment. This time I will wear adult diapers. That was just miserable try to hold it on the way. 

I hope everything comes out OK for you tomarrow. Opps!  Pardon the pun. Not 😂 funny. I mean no polyps found at all. All as clean as a Whistle.

i wish there was a easier way to do For everyone to do this. I'm sure that's all the poor docs hear. I like my doc just not the prep. 

Hugs 

Hope 👍

• Posted

Good luck for the preparation and procedure.For most people it is a bit comfortable.I tis not as bad I hope yours goes trouble free. I am having cystoscopy tomorrow and am dreading it and was told it is not that bad. At leastif you are sedated you will be more relaxed.Are you having sedation. Pl keep us posted.
    • Posted

Marie hello,

Always colonoscopy has sedation otherwise too painful without it. I would tense up tighter than a drum. 

I also have had cystostomy with urinary disfunction a few years ago. I was sedated then too.it turned out everything was OK.

i was on a catheter for two weeks could not go at all. So all these tests were done and that was one of them.not fun carrying around a yellow bag around for 2 weeks. Omg the things we go thru. 

Keep us posted on your cystoscopy . Are you sedated ? 

Hope all goes well for you !

Hope xxx

• Posted

Hi:

I'm scheduled very early in morning. And i still got the runs here at midnight. So im afraid it'll be another all nighter. I slept some last nite ,but not nearly enuf. Im fearfjul of not being too coherent by 7:30

Some of this seems overkill. I think I emptied most of the gunk out early on, Just clear liquid coming thru. But was Sunday. So I couldnt call center and ask for 'reprieve" Cant wait till this is all over

• Posted

Yikes this prep is harder on some people more than others. It seems like your really just barely getting thru. I understand and know how it effects me the same way. Way way to much for my system. I only drank 3/4 of it the last time couldn't do any more. It was ok. 

Do hope you get some sleep and rest soon. One more day and it will finally be over. 

Take care.

Hope xxx

• Posted

Just came back from cystoscopy everything is fine except got a small benign tumor on lt kidney no intervention.  Ultrasounds pciked 2 small kidnes stones,they are not showing on ct scan. A bit uncomfortable down below and it stings a bit when I wee.  My symptoms are due to Atrophic Vaginitis. No sedation just local.  Keep us posted on yours.
    • Posted

Hope you are all done now and everything is ok.  You know it has worked when you only passed fluids.
    • Posted

Marie, 

so glad to hear it is over, yet very sorry to hear about the ultra sound finding twin kidney stones. What is the next step. Are they waiting for you rompas them or planning any proceedure to help remove them.

Did they give you a diet for not forming more stones. My son drinks a lot of lemon water. He has had them in the past. 

What did did they say about the smal Timor and treatment for atrophis vaginitis. I am sorry to hear all that. You must be overwhelmed. 

How are you feeling today.?

There is a string on health patients with all the info you need about each issue that you mentioned. Stay well and I hope you have a great day!

i will keep you posted when I go for my exam.

• Posted

Hope yours go well.  The CT scan which I thinkyou better a better picture did not show the small kidney stones I do notknow whether it is possibleI have passed them out.I have been applecider vinegar which I d notlike. I heard lemon in waterfirst thing in the morning is also good but have to be careful due to the acidity as havegot weak enamel.  The small tumour called an angiomyolipoma he said no intervention and was discharged with no further appointment.  I do think I suffer from atrophic vaginitis but unwilling to apply hormone cream. No side-effects whatsoever after the colonoscopy but after the cystoscopy it does sting when I pee. Pl keep me posted when are you having yours done.
    • Posted

Hi Marie:

Was the CT-scan after or before the ultrasound?

In any case, they must be really small if CT scan missed them. Which makes it likely they'll pass on their own. I had one such stone last summer picked up in CT scan. Took a few weeks ,but it passed on its own. Most go within 2 weeks if small enough.

Lemonade is recommended for prevention. As is keeping very well hydrated .I know theres list of foods to avoid for prevention. Depending on type of stone. Unfortunately that list includes some very healthy vegetables.

To make it pass even quicker, drink as much water as you possibly can

• Posted

Ultrasound was done first then he decided to do a ct scan with dye to see exactly where they were and the sizes.  He said they were not there. Ultrasound they were 3 and 4 mm.  Do you know when you passed themare they visible.  I drink a lotof water my urine is very clear and lookslike water.
    • Posted

Thanks Marie for getting back. I am glad to hear your doing better.

• Posted

ooops!!!. Accidentally sent reply to Hope4Cure instead of Marie. Still woozy from that colonosscopy sedation. My apologies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.