Every time I massage my salivary glands/nodes I get heavy malaise/nausea for days

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have hard submandibular glands or nodes under my jaw and chin, and my parotids ache. When I massage them or exercise my neck at the gym I get days of feeling really unwell, to the point of feeling faint, extreme fatigue, nausea, chest tightness with a dry cough. I normally have a burning aching throughout my neck that's been chronic for over 5 years now. When I manipulate my esophagus cartilage there's asharp pain all around it. I complained of much less widespread symptoms back at the beginning with the same origin: hard little knots in these locations that ached and burned. Now the knottiness and associated tightness/burning/aching has expanded into my clavicle and armpits/chest. I feel like I could vomit my lungs up right now and then it might feel a little better.

Any suggestions? ENTs and GPs and endoscopes and scans have seen nothing in the past. Is there any chance this is a condition that just doesn't play by the "normal range" guidelines? I'm about to move out of a city with a nice hospital and every specialty imaginable in a few months, so if I could make one last stab at diagnosis/treatment here it would be better than trying later where I'm going.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Any help with this? I'm going to see my GP (saw him a month ago) tomorrow to get a referral to an otolaryngologist. Like I said, the first few times I complained of this pain to an ENT a few years ago it was much less acute or widespread and he did a scan at my behest, but of course nothing was out of physical range back then. I didn't realize that a biopsy would've been the only applicable diagnostic when there's no grapefruit-sized lump hanging off my face. Is there a best practice for approaching the ENT/otolaryngologist about a fine-needle biopsy? I've had so many overlapping issues including social anxiety, Hashimoto's, and now the magic word "fibromyalgia" which is the catch-all diagnosis that my acute jaw/salivary problem has been forgotten under, so I've gotten zero real help from doctors. I turned to exercise/diet/massage for relief, but every time I massage or work out my neck I go into a deathlike state for about a week. Over the years I learned to avoid touching it. Eventually it quiets back down to its normal state of chronic ache and burning, but even that has gotten unbearable in the past year. What the actual **** medicine? Please someone help me!

• Posted

Hi, have u gotten any help yet? You sound lots like my problem but I feel a ton worse and I feel near death. Do you have a very bad headache too with problems of the sinuses and eyes?

I have surgery for Eagles Syndrome 7 weeks ago thinking it was my problem but it turns out it isn't and I had found a rare strep in my neck from the seepage..I was better on a high dose penicillin I took for 10 days but then I got sick again short after. I feel like I'm sepsis but no evidence that I am. I don't know knat to do either. My sinuses and eye and headache seem to act up with it and then my whole body and organs hurt too. Drs think I'm crazy

• Posted

Sorry I didn't notice your reply. No help so far beyond finding out my thyroid antibodies are high and zinc slightly low. Eagle syndrome sounds like a possibility for me, especially since the first ENT years ago mentioned it but just prescribed muscle relaxers with no explanation and I forgot about it. Might be a rogue/oversized stylo-hyoid bone wreaking havoc in my neck, but I hate to think surgery wouldn't help me. I'm trying to get in with a rheumatologist and an endocrinologist now, as well as trying the gym and yoga again, hoping not to break anything. Medicine is so slow. I wish hospitals had artificial intelligence doctors already that can move faster than humans. I've had so many appointments and delays it's just amplifying the disease, having to deal with insurance and scheduling and driving when I feel like falling over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.