Every time I up my dose I feel amazing for a day or two then it goes away, will it ever last?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started on 2.5 mg and felt amazing for two days then i was depressed again. Same thing at 5 mg then 7.5mg. Not sure whether going up is just a waste of time?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sam - each time you change a dose, you need to wait a certain period of time for the blood levels to stabalise. You will not know if a dose is right or wrong for you until this time has passed. Typically, it will take these drugs 8-12 weeks to get to some sort of level, but after this, if you change a dose, you need to wait a good couple of weeks again to notice the real difference.

Many have this short "honeymoon" period you are speaking of, which lots of people write off as placebo. Not saying it never happens - it does in some cases, but do not be alarmed that this has not been your fate.

Matt

• Posted

How are you feeling now Sam? I upped my 10mg dose to 15mg (snapping a 5 in half and taking 12.5 for 2 weeks) and I've been on 15mg for 4 weeks, I was feeling great (I was expecting side effects and increased anxiety but they never came). But now in week 4 they have come back with a bang. is it normal to feel this 4 weeks in put of nowhere. Have yours settled down? I'm reading it could take 8 to 12 weeks. Thanks Lindsay

• Posted

I'm feeling way better now. I still get anxiety but its usually because I had a few drinks so i try not to do that very often. I still have a day or two when my depression is back but that just might be my hormones. I say give it another week or two. Week 3 and 4 were the worst for me after i started and again when i upped my dose then i felt way better by week 5. Hope it does the same for you. Good luck!

• Posted

hello olease any one help me am taking 10mg but my doctor increased the dose for me to 15mg ive been 3 days and i feee dizzy and tired and i was so good on 10 mg or i have to wait couple of weeks ??? please any one can advice me any help please would be apprectiated

• Posted

Wael...

After 3 days, the blood levels will have started to stabalise which is why it takes between 3-4 days for the effects of an updose to hit. This should be the worst it will get. But yes, it may take up to a couple of weeks to settle depending on how long you were on 10mg and how long you have been on escitalopram overall.

Why did the doctor up your dose if you were good on 10mg?

You don't have to do everything your doctor tells you 😄

Matt

• Posted

thank you matt for Your reply , ive been on esctilopram since 2 years , but when i saw my doctor for check up she was like i still have anxiety so thats why she increased it , am back now to 10 mg but am havic so much panics all over again do u think i should go back to 15 mg and do u think symptons goo away after couple of weeks ?

• Posted

how long ago did you drop back to 10mg? And did you taper or did you just drop from 15mg to 10mg?

• Posted

i drop back to 10mg from 2 days ago and yes i drop from 15 to 10 i didnt taper

• Posted

OK - it will feel harsh for a while. A 5mg drop of Escitalopram is quite a lot. Rarely will someone drop 5mg without feeling it - it is a potent drug.

However, it will take a good couple of days for the levels to even out at least, so for you to feel panic a day after the drop is too early for it to be related to the withdrawal of the 5mg drop. But as you went up and then quickly back down, the chemicals will be all over the place.

You need to stick to one dose now and leave it there. Your doc should never just up a dose here and down a dose there. People are really sensitive to this sort of behaviour.

My advice would be to stay put for a good 10-12 weeks before consider anything further given all the dosing play...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.