everyday for the past 8-9 weeks my thyroid has been swel...

Posted , 1 user is following.

everyday for the past 8-9 weeks my thyroid has been swelling and then it goes back to normal. I experienced this after having to much to drink one night then the next morning i had a kind of panic attack, but since then i have become increasingly anxious as to what is happening in my body. It is controlling my life at the moment and i am only 19, i have had tests done at the hospital to measure the level of hormone in my body but the first tests came back normal, i have been back to the hospital and asked for a more in-depth investigation, i am currently awaiting my test results. The feeling of having something stuck in my throat is terrible, also i get a very tight chest, which seems to be there constantly everyday.can anyone relate to my experiences at the moment if you can please replythank youemma

[i:d8f32c0b79]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d8f32c0b79]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am also experiencing the same syptoms as yourself my thyroid is over enlarged.ive been for blood tests at my local hospital and im recieving my results tomorrow.im very worried as its contstantly been the size it is for the last several weeks.im finding it hard to swallow but not all the time.hopefully everything is ok.and i hope yours is too.take care of yourself let me know how you get on.

kellie

[i:a905725412]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a905725412]

• Posted

Hi Emma, I think I may be able to shed a little light on your problem although im not a medic in any way and you obviously should seek medical advice for anything you have concerns about. 6 years ago I popped into a doctors on holiday as my daughter was unwell. He noticed a swelling in my neck and advised me to seek medical advice when I got home. I was extremely worried (in hindside I would say overly worried) and did seek advice.

To cut a very long story short I had a scan and I have a multi nodular goitre which required no treatment. It is still there now and i have had no ill effects. Just prior to that time I had quite rececently been through a very difficult time in my life which was extremely stressful for a number of months. I experienced similar simptoms to you and found after asking medical experts that the shortness of breath, tightness in my throat and severe concerns to be down to an anxiety disorder which I sought treatment.

I am over the anxiety and still have my goitre which increases during my time of the month and reduces in size the rest of the month. Alcohol made me extremely anxious and although im not convinced I did wonder if drinking a lot made the goitre larger. I dont have any evidence to prove that one though.

Only you will know if you have any worries or concerns that could be resulting in your feelings of anxiety prior to noticing the goitre. Often anxiety appears to manifest itself in the person making them feel that they have something physically wrong with themselves. No doubt your goitre is there and you need to satisfy yourself that there is nothing wrong with it. But for me the goitre wasn't the problem but worrying about it was the problem. Please dont worry,perhaps you could ask the question as I did because at the time I thought I was going stark raving mad.

Im happy to say that my anxiety was a medical condition that is now cured and I have been fine for years. The goitre is still there and hasn't given me any ill effects so far. I get my thyroid levels checked regularly, well not so regularly these day's but I do have a test tomorrow which no doubt will come back normal. Perhaps it may be worth investigating other options. I hope I have helped and not worried you at all. There is normal life after Goitres and anxiety,its just working out which Im living proof :D

[i:9fa41ece8a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9fa41ece8a]

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I had symptoms of tight chest, palpitations and anxiety for years and was found later to have hyperthyroidism (graves disease). On taking medication my symptoms returned to normal. Many years later my thyroid swung the other way - to hypothyroidism (where I was tired and sluggish). I am now on thyroxine every day. Have you asked your female relatives about thyroid symptoms? I was unaware until I asked my mother and found many female relatives suffered with thyroid problems - it does tend to run in families on the female line. I am presently being tested for an enlarged thyroid and awaiting results.

[i:d84f0311dd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d84f0311dd]

• Posted

Hello, My sister noticed a goitre in my neck back in February. I have a scan and visited the local thyroid clinic. My Thyroid levels were checked and although my TSH levels were slightly surpressed the consultant decided to leave it alone for six months.

I am due to go back to the clinic next week and I am curious as to want treatment ( if any ) to expect. Would the Doctor consider prescribing medication to reduce the goitre?. My goitre seems to be on one side of my neck and I always worry that it might be something else, if no exploratory investigation have taken place.

Any thoughts

CPsad

[i:e5e30e0834]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e5e30e0834]

• Posted

Hi! I was diagnosed with a multi nodular goitre five years ago - had been unwell on and off for some months and my neck felt tender, swollen, hot; also suffered sore throats. Blood tests confirmed that the thyroid gland was functioning normally and I was told to go away and forge about the goitre unless it troubled me again and ebcame much bigger.

I have since joined the British Thyroid Association and I wrote to thier medical advisors regarding the neck symptoms. i was told that the nodules do swell a little and occasionally bleed a little but that these symptoms generally settle down in time.

The symptoms did. occasionally i felt my neck was tender but it passed within a day or two.

Four weeks ago the swelling, slight discomfort swalowing, tenderness etc started again. I am currently waiting to see if it all settles again before asking to go back to the hospital again. A friend recently had half her thyroid gland removed and she is recovering really well. her goitre was very large but did not cause any problems.

[i:e302e1227d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e302e1227d]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.