Everyday is different: Perimenopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

As a new member of this group, everybody is so supportive!  It seems like I could post somthing new, everyday!  Please tell me to expect BOTH good and bad days.  To recap, only on week 2.5 of Zoloft (substituted for Paxil, which quit working after 17 years).  I am trying to do everything "right"....exercise, vitamin D, vitamin B, meditation, mindfulness, etc.  Some days are somewhat okay, while others are terrible.  The kind of days where only a benzo can help : (  Gripped by paralyzing fear and anxiety.  I just hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Also purchased a well rated book on a new form of cognitive behavioral therapy.  I must carry on for my family, but it is so hard.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amalie,

I've just had a total hysterectomy so straight into surgical menopause. Not sure what to expect. Don't feel too bad, hot flashes are bearable and had a few headaches (not as bad as the migraines I used to get but still won't shift unless

I take a migraine pill) but that's it. Not sure if it's something that takes time and a few weeks down the line it'll leap out at me and I'll end up with who knows how many symptoms but I'll take this for now.

I've changed my eating habits, mostly to avoid constipation but also I hope it'll help with any menopause symptoms. Started taking vitamin E, D & B complex also magnesium. Also thinking of Evening Primrose.

Now do you rate Mindfulness? I saw that on a program the other night about stress and I've been meaning to look it up.

I'm sorry you're going through this, hope you find some relief soon.

xx

• Posted

Hi Esmay😊

Can I ask how long it's been since your hysterectomy? You're the first on here like me. I had a total robotic laporospic(sp) hystetectomy 1 year 6 months ago.

• Posted

Hi Lotti,

I had mine on 21st April so just over 2 weeks ago. I had total abdominal.

Robotic you say? I've heard of that but not read anything on it. Google here I come

😀 x

• Posted

Fortunately most of my days are good days.  I had one good dip that scared the crap out of me...but managed, with some dietary changes...and some rescue remedy and other Bach's flower remedies to overcome it and have been pretty good for the past 6 months.

It takes a bit to figure it all out sometimes...but my biggest enemies are chocolate and sugar, for the anxiety symptoms.  If you can mange to avoid those you might see some huge improvement.  Taking magnesium is also a great help with anxiety

The Bach's remedies are amazing!  Just two or three drops is all it takes.  Google them!  I started them in the middle of a huge emotional crisis brought on by hormones, and they really did the trick.

• Posted

I've used the Bach Rescue Pastilles and they are really helpful if you feel an anxiety or panic attack coming on... very soothing... also taking magnesium.  Will definitely look into the Bach drops.  Continuing to try to cut back on chocolate and sugar and am getting in more daily exercise... I agree 100% that too much sugar makes things worse.

• Posted

Amalie, I do find that some days are better than others.  It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things to help yourself.  I relate strongly to "trying to do everything right," being a lifelong anxiety sufferer, but I realized today that if perimenopause doesn't kill me, then perfectionism will.  This stage of life is a tricky road to navigate, for sure, and self-care  is important, especially where our mental health is concerned.  I hope the Zoloft will help you and can relate to the frustration of having medication stop working as I've had Crohn's disease for 21 years and have had to change treatment plans several times.  What I'm working on now is moderation, and as you said, mindfulness, in my case to be aware that I don't have to do perimenopause perfectly but do have to take care of myself, finding that middle ground especially where food and exercise are concerned.  I'm glad you're finding support here, too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.