EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT: STRESS TRIGGERS MY SVT

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my first attack of SVT in the year2000. I was sitting in the hotel parking lot waiting for others to arrive at the convention. My heart began racing while sitting in my car. I was not sure if I was having an MI or what. A friend drive up and I walked up to her saying I think I am having a heart attack. She grabbed an oxygen tank; placed me on 02 with a pulse oximeter and called 911. My heart rate was over 250 beats per minute. Since the first attack I have been to ER 6 times. The last ER visit was in August of 2012 when I was playing some tennis just taking it easy with some volleys across the net. Since then, I hadn't had a major incident until November of 2018. I then had a total of (3) major attacks to date, December 6, 2018 requiring an ER visit all three times. Cause: Incredible amount of stress. I was given Metoprolol 25 mg once a day. I have cut the dosage down to 1/2 due to dizziness and stomach pain. The stress has subsided some. I have read that on the net that it is Ok to exercise, but I am unsure to try it. For me, stress is the number 1 factor. What was the cause of my SVT? Taking ibprofen due to injuring my right knee. Four ER nurses agree with me.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Rick,

Sounds like some scary stuff. I'm sure those ER visits were not fun. From what I understand, whatever the trigger is (caffeine, alcohol, stress, drugs, exercise, etc.)it ultimately comes down to an extra pathway or circuitry in the atrium that ultimately leads to an SVT. If stress is your major trigger, have you thought about ways to minimize and/or reduce your stress? Aside from exercise, how about meditation, belly breathing, yoga, journaling, creative outlets, helping others in need. Just ideas to help.

If stress is the biggie hiw can you find ways to manage it and stay present?

• Posted

I took up Macrobiotics again that has helped my Lyme Disease. Terrible medical care where I live. I almost died from it. I am considering yoga and I have helped some that needed legal advice. Thanks for your advice. I do drink a little coffee. I don't drink or use drugs, but I have loads of stress.

• Posted

My biggest triggers are hormonal. Menstruation and ovulation. My episodes are long and usually require conversion.

I've been through a lot of stress with no SVT.I've drunk coffee to the point of being shaky, smoked cigarettes, drunk alcohol - no SVT. Sleep deprivation is a trigger yet I've had episodes after a 9 hour sleep and plenty of days of no episodes after little sleep.

Taking Licorice as a herb once triggered 5 big episodes in as many days and I was pretty sick of the hospital by the end of that week!

Every time I get triggered I try to work out the cause and sometimes it's really obvious other times it's just nothing. You can seriously send yourself crazy trying to work it out.

Recently I had four episodes in the space of ten days (now 6 days clear and hoping that's it) with three needed medical attention. There's been no particular stress in that time and I can't blame all of them on hormones.

I do find that having regular chiropractic can be beneficial too and having and adjustment has often been the beginning of a long period of no episodes for me.

• Posted

I can really identify with you on the stress factor. I will be 67 years old soon and stress doesn't get any easier. I am considering Yoga. I went to a chiropractor, but he was like a used car salesman. I went to him for severe lower back pain. I have had little problems with my back since a car wreck in 1992. The pain was so bad, I could barely walk or get up from a chair. My stress is from a highly illegal foreclosure. Bank of America does not need a reason to foreclose. I was not in default and never missed a payment when BoA filed for foreclosure. They sent thugs to my house at night trying to scare me out of my house. My German Shepherd nailed one of them that was hiding behind a tree in my yard. Every one in my neighbor loves my dog. Last January she was poisoned. She has had two major surgeries and one very bad vet. She is slowly making a come back. 5 break ins stealing documents and totally trashing my house. This has been on going since March of 2011. I now believe we need something, more exercise, yoga to take the stress off. Any thing that works, I hope you are getting along better.

• Posted

My SVT trigger appeared to be life. A strange way, maybe, of saying that continually searching for triggers and modifying my behavior never seemed to accomplish much. What did work was my 2nd ablation. That was 18 months ago, and no SVT since. My first actually resulted in increased SVT, and it was challenging to seek a 2nd. I'm grateful that I did so, since my quality of life is now substantially better.

I encourage you to find health care people you trust, see if you're a good candidate for ablation, and listen closely to the pluses and minuses of same. Read, skeptically, as much as you can. Don't pay too much attention to any one "civilian's" recommendations, including mine. You may be one of those fortunates who's a good candidate for ablation with a 90% probability of success. I wish the very best for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.