Everything I eat seems to cause me pain. What should I do?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am really fed up.

Have gallstone and am waiting to have gallbladder removed (6-8month waiting list)

On a low fat diet. I am trying really hard to stick to that but it seems that everything I have for a main meal causes me a flare up of gallstone whether the meal has any fat in it or not. I have my main meal in the evening and by the time I go to bed I am in pain again.

Is this phsychological and am I expecting to be in pain? I have no idea.

Trouble is I probably look very well.

I have made an appointment with a GP who I like on Friday next week (13th).

In the meantime I have to try and find something to eat that is not going to cause me agony.

I live in Wales where prescriptions are free so any medicine I would not get on prescription and have to buy over the counter is really a no no.

Anyone got any bright ideas. I certainly hope so.

Living in hope.

Sarah

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Have you tried any natural remedies? Braggs Apple cider vinegar in water might help the pain. It works for some people and is worth a try. Some people swear by flushes too but don't know much about them. I did try the apple cider vinegar and it did help a little but I ended up getting the gallbladder removed in the end. Would you not go to casualty if it's that bad? Good luck. X
    • Posted

Thanks. Funny you should mention cider. Apparently my grandmother (on my father's side) had very bad gallstones and cider helped her.

Going to casualty here is a complete waste of time. I went to Emergency Department in December becuase a GP suspected it was gallstones.

They did tests and sent me home with antibiotics saying I had a urine infection and it would clear up. I thought that was the end of that.

A couple of days later I got a letter in the post asking me to go for an ultrasound scan, They did not mention this when I was at the hospital.

So I went for scan and it showed gallstone.

When I went to hospital I explained I was there because I thought it might be gallstone but they did not do ultrasound scan thee and then Why?

• Posted

I also found low fat hurt more. Could eat chocolate nuts curry pizza all ok but eggs were my trigger as I mentioned before. Eggs are high in cholesterol and seemingly gallstones can be made from cholesterol. Also coffee tea and alcohol were a no no for me too. The apple cider vinegar is worth a try and not expensive. X
    • Posted

Low fat diet is what I have been advised to keep to.

Eggs seem OK for me which is good as I love them. But no mayonnaise with them.

Coffee Tea anc alcohol are OK for me though I would not have coffee or tea in the evening otherwise I would not sleep.

I may give apple cider vinegar a go. Could I get it from a local grocers or where?

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah your local grocer may have the apple cider vinegar or a local health store like Holland and Barrets. I used to put 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a cup of warm water 2 to 3 times a day. It's supposed to help dissolve the stone. I hope it works for you and you feel better. I'll never forget that pain especially at night. I had only 1 stone too and my surgeon said when I lay down it rattled around all night causing the pain.Its hard to believe 1 stone can cause so much pain! X
  • Posted

Sarah . I found low fat made me hurt .. But if I ate cheese pizza or toast I was fine !! Had to give up hot drinks as they hurt a lot !! And could have alcohol or fizzy .

So I mainly had crap junk food and water . That was less painful than say .. Chicken '!!

• Posted

Could not have alcohol or fizzy x
    • Posted

Oh you could eat cheese! That is the one thing I love and I really miss it.

It is an absolute no no for me at the moemnt.

I can have alcohol and fizzy though. Can't win them all aye?

Thanks for replying

Sarah

• Posted

Hi sarah87162.

Not sure how your medical system works as i am in Aus. But I ended up calling an ambulance going to hospital and even when the pain subsided I didn't tell them. I was kept in hospital and had surgery within 48 hours

• Posted

Thanks. Medical system here is crap. Read my response to acejohnson.

Unless you are an absolute emergency they just send you home.

No beds.

Did you have your gallbladder removed or what surgery did you have?

Thanks for replying and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I was diagnosed in August last year and had my gallbladder removed just before Christmas. I found I had to eat completely fat free to avoid the pain, not even eggs! If you google fat free meals there's quite a lot of options. It is horrible waiting to get it sorted but it is worth the wait, I feel so much better now. Hope you get some relief soon. 
  • Posted

Hi sarah it is awful to be in pain all the time day in day out. Have you asked to be considered for a cancelation slot for surgery or doesn't it work for you like that where you live, I'm in england. Here is a list of the things I could eat while waiting for surgery.

Beetroot I used to eat a bit from the jar everyday

Fresh apply juice from deli (not from concentrates) everyday, apparently its the malic acid in it that helps

drink lots of water or weak juice

peppermint or ginger tea

when you really feel you can't eat anything I used to have breadsticks and rice cakes. oh and randomly ginger biscuits!!

I also had a list of when im better im eating ..... and I have so hold on in there. Try and rest more and not over do things until you are well.

• Posted

Thanks. I have said I would go in if there is a cancellation.

I also drink herb teas quite a lot.

Ginger biscuits, ah I love ginger nuts but have been afraid of the fat content. Maybe I will give them a go.

Yes I will hold on in there, thanks for your support.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi sarah it is awful to be in pain all the time day in day out. Have you asked to be considered for a cancelation slot for surgery or doesn't it work for you like that where you live, I'm in england. Here is a list of the things I could eat while waiting for surgery.

Beetroot I used to eat a bit from the jar everyday

Fresh apple juice from deli (not from concentrates) everyday, apparently its the malic acid in it that helps

drink lots of water or weak juice

peppermint or ginger tea

when you really feel you can't eat anything I used to have breadsticks and rice cakes. oh and randomly ginger biscuits!!

I also had a list of when im better im eating ..... and I have so hold on in there. Try and rest more and not over do things until you are well.

• Posted

I'm also awaiting surgery and was having attacks 3-4 times a week. I had to cut out beef, pork, cream based soups/sauces, large amounts of sauces (dressing, mayo, cheez whiz) and i switched to low fat milk products. I tried cutting out all fat and attacks got worse. I usually have chicken, salmon or shrimp for dinner lightly seasoned with brown rice and steamed veggies or salad with fat free dressing. If i want a change i make some pasta with tomato based sauces or spaghetti with extra lean ground chicken and light parmesan. Hope that helps. Also if you are having an attack i found soaking in a tub of hot water really helps me get through the worst of the pain
    • Posted

Yes a soak in the bath does help.

Thanks for replying and supporting.

I am hopefully going out for a meal on Saturday and am having a three bean casserole which my friend Jayne is making. I have had it before and was fine with it. If i am fine again i will ask her for the recipee.

Onwards and upwards

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Yes a bath does help.Had a very bad flare up yesterday, the worst it has been. I spoke to a doctor on the phone and he said do not eat anything else for the rest of the day just water.

I have an appointment with a GP tomorrow afternoon and hopefully I can persuade him to put pressure on them to take my gallbladder out sooner rather than later because I feel I cannot go on like this

• Posted

Sorry to hear that sad i hope they are more useful than the docs I've seen. I had an attack lasting 24 hours (a stone travelled down the bile duct and got stuck by the pancreas causing pancreatitis) initially they were going to do emergency surgery but then the stone passed and they decided it was fine for me to wait 3 more months until my scheduled surgery. So annoying when all of my stones are small and have the potential to travel down the duct. I did find when i changed my diet i had more attacks at the start but now i've only had one in the past month. It's hard getting through the rough periods though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.