Everything was going so well, why does it change now?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, just got a little question to ask.

4 days ago, my doctor gave me 20mg citalopram for anxiety. Before this i had already been on propranolol to help control the physical symptoms. Anyway, even within the first hour or so of taking my for citalopram, whether it was placebo or not, i felt great for the first time in weeks. Even though it made me feel really sick at times, it was such a relief from the anxiety i had been experiencing before hand. All has been fine, friday, saturday and sunday were all fine, but only an hour ago things started to get bad again. I felt stroke like symptoms, my face and neck and arms tingled and went a little numb. This was what i used to feel before. I have calmed down a little since.

Im wondering if anyone has had that kind of delay before? I mean surly if it wasnt going to work it wouldnt when i first started taking them as opposed to 3/4 days later.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi Ryan,

Try not to worry the fact that you felt much better for the first 4 days of taking the citalopram is a really good sign that it is going to work for you. But you have to remember that it takes a while to build up in your system properly and in the early stages you might experience some break through anxiety until the drug is completely in your system. It can take a few weeks for these pills to reach their full effect so don't feel disheartened that you have felt some of your symptoms returning - it is natural that that would happen. Keep taking it everyday exactly as it has been prescribed and you will stop having these attacks as the drug begins to control it properly. Take care , lisa x

• Posted

Hi ryan

Please dont worry that is totally normal im still having days where I feel bad and think oh I felt so good yesterday whats going on are the cit not working now ?! sad then I feel better the next days and good days keep getting better. My dr said this is normal and to just keep taking them each day as prescribed and things will continue to improve .

Take care smile

• Posted

hi ryan. as others have said. it does take time for the citalopram to work fully. and you will get the odd breakthorough of anxiety coming through. i was on citalopram and they were the best medication i have ever had for anxiety. i felt the first tablet i took and really felt myself relaxing and calming down what a relief. so just keep going as you are and you will feel much better as the tablets build up in your system. its good to hear that its working for you, as it did for me. i got taken off them as i was put on another medicine which you cant take with citalopram and they changed them to prozac. i can tell you i really miss my citalopram. they were excellent for me. and good luck.
  • Posted

Hey gys, thanks for taking the time and effort to reply. I really appreciate it

Its comforting to know that it will have some delayed effects, i was just lost in a happy world where i thought everything was fixed and could never go wrong again, but i realise now that this is just a hiccup in the road to getting there.

Can i ask another quick question; what was the dosage that you were put on? because i feel that the 20mg ihave been given may not be enough. This is only because of my friend who is on 100mg of Setraline. I know they are different, but they do the same thing - or so my doctor told me.

I know im probably just finding other things to worry about by asking this, but it is a genuine concern.

Thanks again people smile

Ryan

• Posted

hi Ryan,

Not at all unusual what you experienced mate,anxiety takes many forms,I too had a similar experience years ago on escitalopram felt great,laughed a lot,saw the funny side of things,and carefree,but that old devil anxiety hit back big time and well after that I may as well have eaten Smarties for what good the tablets did.

It really is a mountain to climb Ryan,I'v e had it 50 yrs plus and I,so far have got through,been damned hard but at age 64 the fears have not abated,but the worst symptoms have gone I hope,thank goodness for my medication.

If anything i am now a little bit forgetful and in my own little world,but that's good because 3 months ago I considered ending it all,but thanks to CCT team I got by,so like I say,enjoy your ups and accept your downs,you'll have plenty of each.

You take care,don't panic!

• Posted

I notice now how much it can vary, like you said malcolm it takes many forms and hits you in the most unexpected ways. Only a day later, i feel completely fine again. occasional tingles in my face, but mostly ok. I still cant sleep properly however. Im too afraid to take my sleeping pills incase i dont wake up or dont get the required -8 hours sleep, or otherwise ill apparently suffer from memory loss. So it looks like ill be on here every night at 3:30 in the morning :P

Im glad to hear that you got over your struggles, i hope that you do fight through them. Just like you say, ups and downs. I could really do with an up right about now :P

Thanks again malcolm. and to the rest of you who replied.

Ryan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.