Everywhere says the symptoms should go after 1-2 weeks yet I still have pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

What are experiences please re recovery time from Diverticulitis - first outbreak, and I was in hospital for 5 days with first diagnosed flare - on IV antiobiotics, then another 5days oral at home after. I came out almost 3 weeks ago. Was sore for first 10 days with churning/crampy bowels first thing. After which once having morning movement the pain would go and I felt a lot better from a week ago. However in the last 4 days I'm feeling 'twingey' pains and bloated guts like I need to go most of the time.

The doctors said I should be better after 1-2 weeks, as does everywhere I look it up online.

Have others had this longer lingering stuff - or is it a sign it's flaring again, which has me so scared....

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hiya,

Sounds v similar to me!

Had my 1st flare about 5 weeks ago. CT scan confirmed uncomplicated acute diverticulitis. On IV for 2 days followed by 7 days antibiotics at home.

ok for a couple of weeks with a few similar BM as you describe and tiredness.

Last week it came back, stronger cramps in the morning so headed back to A&E. Readmitted for 3 days - IV again followed by more antibiotics at home. Finished them ytdsy but still have gripes and extreme fatigue. Dr thinks it probably didn't clear up fully 1st time round.

If you're unsure then pls get check out.

Good luck

• Posted

My first experience of diverticulitis 4 weeks ago, into hospital, IV antibiotics for 2 days, then 7 days antibiotics at home. Gradually got better and thought, hey the antibiotics seemed to have done the trick. Then after a week of feeling fine it started to cramp again, doc gave me 7 more days, felt fine after that lot, now started up again. So doing loads of research, trying to find out what's going on. Is it re-infection? Is it just inflammation? Do new infections start up as soon as the old ones finish? etc etc All I do know is that the new diet is a bit boring 😁

• Edited

Hi there, I am going through the same concerns and physical symptoms and tonight my stomach is really swollen along with the pain and other stuff you mention. But mine was a milder attack than yours and i managed at home this time (i had my first attack four years ago not long after being diagnosed with severe diverticular disease after a colonoscopy and many years of pain). i managed to avoid GP and hosp rhis time and did not have antibiotics either, and put myself on fluid only diet for a couple of days nearly two weeks ago and I was careful for a few days more and then by last weekend i was more or less ok so ate normally again. However, Friday i got the colon pain and what i describe as my bowels seizing up, as in hurting to open. So ive put myself back on mostly fluids - clear broth - but with steamed rice and white fish. my back is painful, stomach painful and im also getting those sensations of feeling like I need to go all the time. it didnt come back like this when i had a much more severe attack of it. I'm also wondering if it didn't go, but then i have just read that sometimes you can get a more chronic form ... but it could just be inflammation.. but if i were you i would ring the GP in the morning, which i may do myself. I had a very very strict diet for several weeks via a dietitian when i had the bad attack. And very gradual reintroduction of fibre. I didnt do that this time as was so much milder, but i seem to be paying for it now. What is your diet like? Fibre has kept me diverticulitis free for four years so im gutted it's back and can't work out the trigger except maybe not drinking enough water one day. If anyone reading knows the answer to this next question Id be grateful... if the bowel has kind of seized, and you go fibre free wont that cause your bowel to seize even more? That worries me about diverticulitis and healing my colon with fluid/fibre free diet as advised last time. i think last time they gave me special medicine to deal with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.