Evidence of disability

Posted , 3 users are following.

Now we have all said that one of the problems with ME is that it does not show much on the outside and people get confused about how ill we can really be.

I was reminded of it this morning. Since I have been wearing a hand brace because of the problems with my right thumb base joint I have found that asking for help in a shop much easier. whether it is packing a bag or simply waiting patiently whilst I struggle with the coins to pay, I have noticed a more tolerant attitude than when I asked for help when 'seemingly' perfectly capable of doing it myself.

How sad, and what a shame that in general evidence of an illness or disability generates more tolerance and underatanding. If only we could all be more tolerant and helpful of our fellow man without a physical indication that it is 'needed'.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, 'if only' Alicia sad

No-one seems to have any time for anyone these days. Life just seems to be one selfish rush :roll:

I have done the poppy collection for the past twenty-five years ..... though had a gap for the last couple of years due to illness. Just about managed it this year ....... leaning against a wall in the local Waitrose ..... actually people were VERY generous, especially the youngsters.

When I went to hand my boxes in at the local collection yesterday the organiser was very late in setting up the tables and chairs, and when I appeared she asked for my help :shock: She pointed to a chap sitting nearby, saying 'Oh Albert can't help us, he has arthritis'. He had a support splint on his lower arm.

Thank goodness, a couple of other chaps appeared at that moment and I was able to leave them to it. I honestly don't think I would have been able to say 'no' :?

Yet if I had had a splint on my arm, I wouldn't have been asked in the first place.

It's really very hard coping with an invisible illness sad

• Posted

Well done you, Katie. In our local paper this week an old soldier who is 86 and blind was doing a poppy collection in our town. He put his box down for a minute and it was swiped. It had been full right up. that opportunistic thief must have been lying in wait and watching for a chance.

What a comparison between then and now. :evil:

• Posted

Oh that's awful, Alicia :shock:

I feel quite upset :wah:

Well, the thief will have some explaining to do when he gets to the Pearly Gates :evil:

• Posted

this invisible illness thing is so difficult, i agree. particularly cos its so different from day to day - i felt like a right fraud sitting in a pub the other day with a beer, and people saying, 'so i hear you've got chronic fatigue?' :?

found myself making excuses, like; 'yes i know i look ok but you should see me on a bad day' or 'yes but ive had to spend two days in bed to get here.'

grr grr GRRRRRRRR :evil:

Trees x :evil:

• Posted

Trees, I've just been having a look at the fibromyalgia forum (I read it frequently because the two illnesses are so alike). SES has printed a poem today that she saw on the wall at the physio dept that she attends. It could have been written for CFS/ME as well.

When my techno friend, Alicia gets back I'm going to ask her (with SES's permission) if she can transfer it to our forum - with maybe just a couple of minor changes.

Have a look - it's under the heading 'Accepting Fibromyalgia'. It's something that we could all have pasted up in EVERY ROOM OF THE HOUSE :evil:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.