Ex-Smoker - Am I still at risk?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 28 years old and have recently given up smoking after a steady reduction over several years. I've smoked for seven years probably averaging two cigarettes a day. At most I smoked 10 a day and for the past year only one a week but have now stopped completely. This is obviously the biggest step I can take to improve my health but I still find the possible consequences of my years of smoking terrifying.

Am I still at risk of premature death? What are my chances of developing conditions due to my smoking past?

Conditions like COPD are particularly worrying for me. I'm a semi-serious cyclist and ride thousands of miles a year. I've had asthma since childhood (which is now very well controlled) so can imagine the debilitating effects of such an illness. Developing a condition like that and facing years of slow decline where I would become less and less able to ride my bike make me feel extremely depressed.

Obviously the cancers and heart disease are also very scary and something I think about everyday.

What are my chances? Is there any more I can do improve my health?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

They say that giving up smoking will add years to your life and after 20 years it will be as if you never smoked and you were not a heavy smoker. Well done for giving up the dreaded weed, sounds like you have a pretty healthy life style. If smoking caused cancers and heart disease in every body I would definitely have that as I was a 40 a day smoker for 25 years. My lung diseases are primarily caused by my old work place, poisoned by zinc chloride (now used in chemical warfare) I do also have emphysema but not too severely and yes this was probably caused by my years of heavy smoking.

Enjoy life, eat healthily, exercise and don't smoke and you will be fine but no one can predict the future,

worrying and pondering about that can make you ill !!!!

• Posted

Congrats on reducing & then quiting!! I don't think you have much to worry about. You're young & active riding your bike.

Best of Luck to you. Do not worry & stop thinking about all of that. You've already done the best thing!!!

Barb

• Posted

Congratulations, to have made this life changing decision at 28 instead of 48 say and as you where obviously a light smoker you have just brought your life expectancy back to as if you have never been a smoker so long as you never start again, I so envy you and wish I had quit years ago instead of only ten, be kind to your self and think of yourself as a non smoker now and enjoy your long smoke free life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.