Exacerbation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Four months ago I could run/walk a 10 K race. More recently I became very fatigued walking 2 miles. Now I'm exhausted walking a short distance or climbing one flight of stairs. This seems to be an exacerbation of my Bronchiectasis. My concern is: is this the new normal or after the flareup will things get better and I will be able to walk at least 2 miles again. Health authorities tell us we should walk at least 7500 steps a day (that is 3 miles), but that is very difficult. Should I force myself to walk even if my legs ache and I'm so fatigued it is hard to put one foot in front of another. Moreover, after a little exercise I'm exhausted for the rest of the day. (BTW before bronchiectasis I ran marathons and did triathlons).

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know how you feel, before my first exacerbation I used to walk my 7 (now down to 2) dogs the minimum of 5ks, usually 10 and as I live in mini mountains it was a fair work out. Now I struggle with 2kms and absolutely no slopes. For 5 years was diagnosed with asthma even though I kept telling the docs no the inhalers don't work at all.

I would get yourself really checked out, demand CT scans etc, I bought myself an oximeter and took readings when ever I felt out of breathe , kept a diary over three days, I was shocked with the results and so were the docs, hospitalised. Turns out I have Brochiectasis, Pulmonary Fibrosis,, Emphysema and Sysremic Scleroderma and am now on oxygen. Not saying this is your scenario BUT you just proves you really should have a full check up to find out why the sudden decline..

Best of luck hope things turn out fine.

• Posted

Thank you. I coughed for 9 months and the doctor kept saying it was post nasal drip. Finally she ordered a CT scan and it was the CT that revealed I had bronchiectasis. My O2 saturation seems OK. I am scheduled to see the pulmonary doctor in a couple of months. He may order another CT.

• Posted

Pleased to hear your sats are ok, that is one good thing. For me it was the exacerbations (3) before any one took any real notice and it was me that decided to do the chart just to show them I was NOT someone with health anxiety. Don't think I would have been any better treated properly, earlier, as all my problems are progressive, three fastish, the bronchectasis, not so fast as I believe I have had that since a teenager, looking back, multiple cases of pneumonia and pleurisy.

Hope you get appropriate treatment.

• Posted

Oximeter readings can be deceptive, especially when done while you are seated. Reglois's method of 3 days' worth of readings is excellent. Be sure to note what you were doing: sitting, standing, climbing stairs, etc., for each reading. The pulmonologist will appreciate that diary.

You have experienced a radical change and frankly, your gp sucks. You should've been put through a complete workup. Several kinds of heart issues can produce this drastic change, including hardening of the arteries. Yes, plenty of marathoners have plaque in their arteries. If i were you, i'd demand a bit more care.

• Posted

You need to go to your Pulmonlogist, I did the same thing and now I have Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Pneumonia in my lungs, this is a deadly lung disease that can kill me at any time, that I can only keep it at bay if I take good care of myself and take my medication, I hope you don't have this but you definitely need to go get checked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.