Exact location of gallbladder pain and or discomfort

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Not sure what's going on. I use to get severe pain in the gallbladder region urq. Specifically an inch below right ribs and a a depth into abdomen about an inch also.

Now I'm just getting an ache in the muscles in that area, sometimes it feels like it's even in the skin or fat layer.

For years I've heard gallbladder from doctors, recently doctors have mentioned IbS more but are happy to say we just don't know...grrrrrr!

It seems to shallow for either.

The pain use to be a 10, were I acctually have been to A&E, now it's more of a day to day discomfort, but I am aware of it and it's not knowing what the he'll it is that's driving me nuts.

Could it be something wrong with the abdomen wall etc.

All my blood tests are normal except cholesterol which is slightly elevated 5.5 and I feel very healthy.

Has anyone been on this journey with undiagnosed pain discomfort and had an answer that fits.

Any light shed on location or diagnosis that your sure is correct would really help.

Cheers

Chris

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, my pain was similar to how you described. It started with an uncomfortable full feeling and at first I put it down to trapped wind or tight waist bands. A bit like a stitch. When the attacks started, it was a gripping pain. The pain would be severe but then suddenly just go after between 20 mins and 2 hours. The attacks would almost always happen in the evening or overnight. Between attacks, I could feel like pressure there all the time. I got full very quickly. In the end I could sense an attack building. I would often wake feeling quite flu like and my stomach would be gurgling. Sometimes my skin felt tender to the touch. Also I got constipated and struggled to pee.

Exact pain location for me was right side rib. If you go from your breast bone and move right along mid rib, right at the bottom. If you lay on your stomach, place your hand directly below your rib and take a deep breath. Then exhale. That's where tenderness was for me and the location of the pain.

I had my gallbladder removed almost 4 weeks ago and I hadn't realised how unwell I had been for about four years until it was removed. I'm pain FREE. 🤗🤗 I would see if you can get ultrasound or MRI.

• Posted

Had an ultra sound and all clear (apparently) I thought for years it was gallbladder. I'm not convinced now though.

I'm assuming it still could be but the pain seems very shallow and all the prodding done my doctor s over the years didn't seem to make it worse.

The doctors have said that it doesn't warrant an MRI, I bet it would if was them though...have had an xray though and all clear.

Did the technique you used to locate pain hurt every time you did it, or just when you had a flare up.?

Thanks for the reply

Chris

• Posted

My gallbladder was tender at that point always and worse during a flare up. I was lucky I guess because I pretty much knew what I had because my symptoms were text book, the bloods showed raised LFT's and ultrasound found the stones. Not everyone's are as straight forward. Gallbladder disease can be very debilitating. I never realised just how much until mine was removed. I think if gallstones or cholecystitis are suspected, they should do more to either diagnose it or rule it out. If you are suffering pain, that's not normal.
    • Posted

Hi, Chistophe, sorry to hear you're having these problems.  Lisa is right.  The pain and symptoms you are having mean that there is something wrong, and the doctors should assist you in finding out what it is and getting it properly treated.  Also, x-rays and ultasounds don't always pick up on gallstones or sludge, which is a slurry of very small stones and sediment, like thick mud.  That's what I had.  Besides the liver function tests, a CT scan would also work.  Then, there is an HIDA scan, which will tell them if your gallbladder's functioning properly.  Good luck and let us know how you do.  
  • Posted

Christopher.

please se a gastrologist. It could be a stone in the GB. or in my case a stone in the bile duct blocking it entirely. A simple X-ray can be done for diagnosis.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.