Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. It takes a lot to make me feel like I'm hitting my head up against a brick

wall but have been on Warfarin for some time and OK with it though miss

my green vegies. a lot and just a couple of baby spinach leaves don't really

help much. Now I am told to try to stick to a low potassium diet too. Boil

the lives out of potatoes, pumpkin, etc. for 2 hours then throw that water

away. What????? So where do I get any fibre from that is acceptable? I did

ask my local doctor if I needed to see a dietician but was told no. However,

I prefer to go by my gut feeling and am going to see a dietician very soon.

Being on Warfarin and trying to keep potassium levels down is something

I can't do on my own. Wish me luck! I don't give in easily which is just as

well.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried another anticoagulant? There are other options.

• Posted

i feel exactly like you. i have had to cut out all my favourite good foods, grapefruit daily, gone. beetroot, gone. liver, gone. and many more. i am fed up with these diet instructions for inr levels. i have ibs too which makes its own limitations. i feel like telling dr i will no longer take warfarin, fed up with it. did try the alternatives, riveroxaban did not work, apixaban made me feel ill. my cousin died of embolism on riveroxaban as they couldnt reverse it. they forget to tell you that the new anticoagulants are not able to do that, only warfarin can and the dietary restrictions are bad. i wonder if all these people really need to be on it after years of no clots.

• Posted

Before it was realised that my kidneys would be my main problem, I was on Astrix at first, then Pradaxa.

Evidently Warfarin is the kindest to the kidneys, it seems that I either have to be stupid and give it up and hope for the best! The doctors tell me 'you are very old' and yes, I do know what but the brain says keep

trying. With b.p., I.B.S., etc.etc.etc., I shake my head at times with their attitude. What matters if I'm old?

I am and yes, I have seen a lot. The glass is still half-full but it is difficult.

• Posted

All the best. Just keep doing your thing, i am sure in due time things will get better for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.