Excellent News

Posted , 13 users are following.

I posted about not being to look after my grandson due to family concerns about my realibility and also safety issues following two binges this year.

Many thanks for all the helpful comments from you lovely lot on here. They all helped and I decided to do something positive, instead of drinking and feeling sorry for myself.

Paul turner suggested showing my husband his video about AUD. I didn't think he would be at all receptive and wouldn't watch it.

Anyway, I picked my moment, and he sat down with me and watched it. His reaction blew me away as he admitted he would never have thought of AUD as being an illness.

He suggested having the kids, partners and grandkids for Sunday lunch as it was Father's Day. To my surprise he himself, (unbeknown) to me, invited them all and they all agreed to come.

Family meals have never been my best times, I get anxious and tend to have a couple of glasses of wine in the kitchen. Yesterday I was determined not to drink until we sat down.

I managed to cook full lunch for nine of us and they all said it was the best meal I've ever done. I had two glasses of wine along with the others, but unlike the rest had nothing else.

My husband then gave me a shock by telling them he wanted to show them a video. They all said the same, it was a real eye opener and that they didn't have a clue before, and now understood .

What really made my day, even though I burst into tears, was my daughter in law saying that instead of her mum having him all the time when he's not at nursery, how about me having him for a few hours on a Wednesday afternoon for a few hours, starting this week 😄😄

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement! 

So my sincere thanks to this forum, to all who replied, and especially to

4 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Continued

thanks to RHGB for suggesting copy and paste, my long post just disappeared!

thanks to Paul for his video.

Had it not been for this forum, I would have drunk again and confirmed they're decision that I wasn't able to have him.

Cant thank you all enough

vicks

• Posted

It makes me so happy to know that my video has had such a positive impact VickyLou smile AND that your family were open-minded enough to take on board what I said.
    • Posted

Many thanks Paul for telling me to show my husband your video and the great results it achieved.

My daughter had watched the documentary on tv (can't remember what it was called). After seeing your video, she said it was 100% better than the tv one. She even said that all gp's should have a copy and listen and learn!! and why don't alcohol services use it.

She is a registered manager of a care home for people with mental health problems, four of her residents suffer with AUD, and two with Korsacoff's Syndrome. From today, she's telling her staff that the word ALCOHOLIC is not to be used and will now be known as AUD.

Thanks again

• Posted

Well thank you for showing others my video smile It is lovely to hear a change has been made at the care home your daughter manages as a result smile

Very small steps are being taken to change attitudes but every step is another in the right direction smile

• Posted

You all helped me with your kind comments in MY OWN FAULT discussion, so thought I would share my success with you.

​Now I'm back again thanking you all for the lovely comments on my EXCELLENT NEWS discussion.

To anyone who hasn't seen Pauls video, watch it, it's excellent and although I'd seen it before, it explains and answers so many things.

• Posted

Hi Paul, as ever you are helping so, so many people...you have an amazing knowledge and understanding of alcohol problems....you are also a genuinely warm, kind and sincere gentleman...

Could you please send me the link also, I would be most grateful....keep up your good work, you truly are a decent and an incredible individual.....look after yourself, always Paul.....

Sincerest regards and thanks Paul....deirdre Anne ...xx

• Posted

Hi deirdre

i have started a new discussion on Pauls video and how to watch it. Paul can't post the link himself as it would be classed as advertising. If you google Paul Turner AUD video or you tube, you can see it that way.

• Posted

'Paul Turner alcohol' finds it more easily smile

I'll send you the link in a private message, Deirdre smile

• Posted

Oh that is so lovely for you and a great thought by your husband. It is greaet that they all watched the video. Could do with a video like that myself to explain it to hubby. I don't think enough people realise it is such an awful illness and that many of us want to get better and not be the way we are. Some don't and will just drink until they are no longer with us, but that is their choice. I would like to be like you have a couple of glasses at a meal like I used to and then no more! xx
  • Posted

WOW WOW WOW!!!

I'm over the moon for you, well done!

How do I get this video?  I need to watch it xx

• Posted

Could i have the link too please Joanna?  As said new to these forums and I am trying to get to grips as to which ones to use or do I just generally reply to people and then post my own comment if I need to?  LOL x
    • Posted

Done!

You can reply in someone else's disussion, like you have done here, but if you want to begin your own discussion you can do so too by clicking the 'New Discussion' link.

• Posted

Thanks Jo and thanks for the link will be watching it later and ask hubby to watch tomorrow as on lates! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.