EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES

Posted , 2 users are following.

My GP will only dispense a maximum of 4 week's 7.5mg in any 2 month's period in accordance with NHS prescription guidelines.

**I am awaiting hip and shoulder replacement surgery and the ongoing pain until then (likely to be many months away!) means that I am am unable to sleep at night without 1 Zoplicone 7.5 daily

Once I have recovered from both operations the pain should hopefully gradually ease and then stop at which point I should not need Zoplicone to enable me to sleep.

I have read somewhere (can't now locate the source) that the above guideline dose can be increased "in exceptional circumstances".

Can anyone provide examples of "in exceptional circumstances" and would my 'circumstances' come within this caveat?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Greetings,

Based upon the specific nature of your inquiry, I doubt that you would receive replies mainly because the answer to your question would rest within knowledge by the medical community rather than other patients with potentially similar circumstances. I am a retired medical professional but I'm in the U.S., so the rules of dispensary for class IV drugs as classified here would be dissimilar.

Restriction and intense regulation of this particular class of drugs has increased significantly, in large part due to the short half-life these medications possess that poses high risk of psychological and physiological addiction potential.

The time period prior to surgery would likely not fall under exceptional circumstances because it is likely the common waiting period. Another option to discuss with your doctor is whether pain management is an option since there are medications within a different class that could be prescribed to carry you through the time period described that are not as restrictive.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.