Excercise pedals

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi all

done my first physio doing ok,  at 3 weeks I am down to one crutch and hopefully will soon be carefully walking without crutches indoors.

thinking about getting something to pedal for when I'm ready, has anyone tried those pedals where you sit in a chair or is a full static bike better? 

Thanks sue x 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan  i did my second P/T in the gym today  first thing he put me on was the bike,  wow did it hurt  i am 26 days post opp,  along with bouncing on a trampet and a wobble board  things were ok. So using the bike did losen my knee up and he got me back on it to warm down, so yeah  i think  its a good idea to get on a free standing bike making sure the seat is high. Hope all goes well in your recovery .biggrin
  • Posted

Susan, I use a mini cycle every day as part of my exercise routine. I feel this has definitely helped my progress which was very slow at first. A friend at work suggested it as her dad had used one and it reduced his recovery time. I also use a mini skateboard to help me gain the bend, since using the cycle and skateboard I have increased my bend from 41° at six weeks to 71° at week nine.
  • Posted

Hi Susan.  I've been on a stationary bike since six days post op.  Very high seat and no tension.  Pedalling forward and back until I can't go any further. The PT says I will go backwards first,which I've done twice but haven't been able to do that since last week.  It certainly loosens up my leg.  I use the bike first before I do any of my other exercises and I find it helps.  My bend is around 105.  Good luck!
  • Posted

hi sue , well done , . I have my first physio tomorrow, which will be 2 week, I bought a full static bike, before surgery, as was recommended by physio, to try to build the mussel up a bit, before my surgery, it's a really good quality bike, and was only 89.99 from argus. It's got gears so you can start by literally just turning the pedal, which to be honest is all I ever managed on it before anyway , but hopefully I might be able to get to gear one when I'm aloud to try, will be a while  though. I don't really rate the ones you sit in a chair to do , but it obviously depends on your capability, would you want a bit more resistance eventually,. Cause I don't think you can change it on them😃
  • Posted

I found the pedal cycle good at fiest but the static bike much better for bend I think even though it's painful.  
  • Posted

I bought an electric mini exercise bike 4 weeks post op when my mobility was good but ROM very poor (I have extensive diffused PVNS too and although had a synovectomy a lot of stiffness remains).

At first I just used it for movement by laying in the floor and letting the electric do the work but very soon was able to sit in a high chair and switch between electric on (movement and circulation) to electric off (muscle build up).

It really helped. I use it a couple of times daily

• Posted

Hi there Susan.  I borrowed my daughters static bike but my MS made the whole experience laughably ridiculous so on physio recommendation I purchased a pedal cycle I can use whilst sitting down and I find it amazing.  Mine will fold in half for storage if necessary and weighs just 5 lbs so can be stored and moved when necessary - yes even by me!!!  (Mr Amazon about £25). I can add some resistance when I wish and I feel it does me a lot of good.  It am 12 weeks post op with right leg TKR.  
  • Posted

I used the pedal bike at physio, just as far as I could bend. Not all the way around until later. At home I bought the apparatus to turn my bike into a stationery bike. I love it. Soon going to remove it and bring the bike to the neighbourhood. But I am 5 mets plus. Still not the greatest bend. Gonna take a while, but I do nearly everything I need to do. Good luck. And keep on peddaling
  • Posted

Thank you for all your replies 

great decision maker -  have bought a bike from argos - looks good £79.99

not sure what to do on it , just looking at it at the moment - lol 

the First challenge will be getting on it -  well that will be an achievement from the last 3 weeks!   

Sue x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.