Excersise and AF

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it ok to exercise with AF,   I am 77 very active, only what I cannot understand is they do not like your pulse rate to rise but it will with exercise ,

My symptoms are weak legs when out walking my dog.and want to try and strengthen them

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charles - I was diagnosed with AF in September last year but compared to others I have not had any real follow-up problems. I am on 2.5 mg Biso and varying doses of Warfarin. I saw my GP on Monday and asked him about me playing golf and he said carry on the exercise will do you good. I play golf three times per week and have not had any real problems. I am 78 years old and until my body tells I am doing too much I shall carry on playing!
    • Posted

Thanks Joiner,nice to hear you can exercise like you do, my doc has put me on another tablet for keeping my pulse rate down,that seems to suit me much better and another anticoagulant next one down from warferin

would hate to go on that wth almost weekly check ups you need.

thanks for reply.

• Posted

I am 75.  I have had AF for about 2 years.  During which time I have had a cardio version (which  lasted about 24 hours) and the recently a catheter ablation ( which did not cure the AF. )   I am now on drugs that do not have too many side effects, and am attempting to become fitter with exercise. It is a slow process but my dog is pleased with the extra walks and my breathing is improving and so is my general stamina. I say keep up the exercise, it can't do any harm and it certainly makes me feel better.
  • Posted

Hi Charles,

I'm only 50, but the advice that I was given is still probably relevant to you. I've been told by 3 GPs that I should exercise to whatever my ability is or to what my body allows me to do. If I have very strong AF, I find it difficult to exercise as well as I can when I am in a good sinus rhythm. If your body gets enough oxygen when you are in AF to allow you to exercise, then you should do so - beta blockers should stop your heart rate from being too high. I am presuming that apart from AF that you may actually have a healthy heart - if not, and you have cardiovascular disease or hypertension then you will have to be more careful re exercise. I hope that it is just AF and that you can take the dog for many walks to the best of your ability thereby strengthen your legs and improve your fitness. Occassionally I find that my heart does pound strongly and arrhythmically after exercise, but it eventually settles down again - its just a matter of trying not to get too worried. All in all, I've been advised that exercise is highy recommended and that your body/heart may dictate what you are able to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.