Excess B12

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone know anything about excessive b12? I'm above the measurement range in my last blood test, which I find incredibly strange given I am vegan and don't supplement. 

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What was the reading ? 
    • Posted

ACTIVE B12 *169.000 pmol/L 25.10 - 165.00
    • Posted

Well my range differe,t but mine was 169 low so on injections now and 2000 which way above but like Suzanne said from us regarding the b12 water soluble so I wouldn’t worry I know I need folate to balance but give me awful pin needles in feet legs but feel brill on b12 so high better than low don’t worry 
  • Posted

Let me start by saying I'm from the US and I know our country's have differing medical thoughts. My understanding is there is no effect of excess of B12 . It's a water soluble vitamin, and leaves the body in urine. I've had pernicious anemia for 30 years, that's a lack of B12.  I would do research and see what you can find. I know different countries have different thoughts on how to treat B12 problems . Good luck , best wishes 

• Posted

Excess B12 simply means your body is not absorbing it, using it properly, its accumulating in your bloodstream and not being used. That was my experience as well (also don't eat meat nor dairy). Unfortunately there's no way we can get enough B12 in a vegan diet, even meat eaters are deficient, simply because B12 is produced by a bacteria that's lives on the ground and since we have artificial lives that cut us away from nature... Anyways, you should pay attention to your body, symptoms etc.. And i strongly advise to start supplementing. (I din't wanna supplement either and it lead to me to a severe B12 deficiency and anemia which brought a lot of other problems.

Hope it helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.