Excessive Anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys, I’ve been on Sertraline for almost a week now, for anxiety. Last night I had myself convinced I was having heart problems or just something was wrong with me, has it made anyone else extremely anxious over things that’s arent even there.  I woke in a sweat with an upset stomach.

Will it settle down after a few weeks or did it for you? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, 

I avoided medication for years and finally went ahead with sertraline. I have been on them for 5 months now and at first they made my anxiety worse because I was so self conscious of every little thing such as a headache etc whether it was caused by the medication or not!

My diarhhea and nausea were my main side effects and I had them for around 2months but I persevered and was so glad as they started to kick in around 12weeks which is a long time but it is different for everyone.

Give it 2-3 months in my opinion. I think these feelings are heightened anxiety due to worrying that the sertraline is doing you harm, please try not to worry too much, you can always make an appointment with tour gp to discuss your concerns or come here on the forum. It is a long road but it can have great results. Try to keep a good sleep routine get plenty of fresh air, avoid caffeine and alcohol(as much as you can) and give it time x

• Posted

You have literally just described my life, I’m exactly the same! Thanks so much for your reassurance I really appreciate it 
    • Posted

I'm exactly the same too! Have been tapering up sertraline from 50mg in January to 150mg for the past 5 days and have had every sid effect doing! I question every littl sensation....is the meds and if so is it harmful? Or if it my anxiety, in which case why aren't the meds working yet? I'm trying to tell myself to let the meds do their job and understand side effects are nothing to worry about and will pass. I spoke to my pharmacist this morning abou a strange feeling under my tongue. She said sertraline side effects are caused primarily by th d if settling in your system and causing temporary, harmless side effects to your parasympathetic nervous system....which is why we get numbness, tingling, hot or cold sensations etc. 

• Posted

Hi Brianaaa, 

I'm currently on day 5 of taking 50mg, this is my second time around taking Sertraline. I was on them for a couple of years before stopping last September after feeling like my old self again. Unfortunately I've had a set back and knew it was time to accept help again before it got to the point I was at when last time, which left me pretty much house bound. 

I suffer mostly with social anxiety but since I started the meds again my anxiety is on another level and it's about everything. I've never had what I consider the traditional panic attack of hyperventilating but I have two today. Anyway, sorry I'm rambling but my point was that I've been through this before, the increased anxiety is just a side effect of the medication, it's the one thing GP's normally say, to be aware that it will get worse before it gets better. Last time around it took a couple of weeks for things to start to settle down, by about week 8 I was feeling so much better. It took me a good year to finally feel like myself again but that's because I'd let my anxiety take hold and it took a lot to pull myself out of it. 

Stick with it, the side effects are worth it because the results are there waiting at the end, and so if the old you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.