Excessive Belching, weird experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Starting in the summer i started drinking 1-2 energy drinks per day; not a good idea I know! At the end of October i noticed i was getting indigestion and heartburn which I've never experienced in my life and starting developing allergic rhinitis. I ended up going to the Urgent care where they prescribed me Z-pack, methylprednisone, and some sort of probiotic to take as she suspected a sinus infection.

One week later and not feeling better so I went to go and see my pulmonologist. She ordered a chest x-ray and "coincidentally" didn't tell me I had pneumonia in my left lung till the 2 week followup. At this point i was feeling miserable and put on my second antibiotic Levoflaxin (the worst antibiotic I've ever taken); this caused tendonitis and did nothing positive for me. She recommended I see an ENT who then put me on my third antibiotic augmentin which I finished, so needless to say I was on three antibiotics in November and finally cleared of Pneumonia in the beginning of December.

During this November Ordeal I noticed myself spitting up a lot of clear mucous / pheglm, either when i was using the steamer to clear my sinuses or during regular activities. I attributed this to water brashing or just reflux of sorts. I was presuming it was due to the antibiotic use.

I saw a GI in December after not feeling better and having heartburn / indigestion and she prescribed me nexium 40mg. I've been on that for 5 weeks now, and I've noticed that I have non-stop belching hours after eating and at random hours of the day. No blood in stool, no blood in vomit (even when i had the stomach bug), nor coughing up blood. Through experimentation, I have noticed that consuming Apple Cider Vinegar will kill the burping all together, and using nystatin helped tremendously, leading me to believe that the nexium is counteracting the fact that I may have too little stomach acid being produced, and that instead i may have some thrush due to using steroid inhalers, and using a wide amount of antibiotics giving yeast the opportunity to over-colonize.

I have my next GI visit in February and really want to avoid an endoscopy if I can, so i'm wanting to reduce the nexium to 20mg for a week, and then try to eliminate to see if my suspicions are correct about maybe having too little acid in the first place and therefore having the non-stop burping due to using the nexium. The burping is causing me to need to burp at times to breathe clearly and its really nerve wracking and anxiety inducing. I also want to see if the heartburn will come back, if not then my suspicions may be through. I wanted to ask for help here to see if anyone could further confirm based off my symptoms, personal experience, or individualistic experiences what I'm experiencing. I really need help!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.